Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

debate-hope-v-SunburnedPenguin - Winner Announced

+15
SunburnedPenguin
SamiLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
blonde
wtfsignmeup
nino_1
MollyCocktail
katesawjack
Hope
Lateralus
vincentthedog
Irocz28
AngeloComet
TheHolyStickman
StitchExp626
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Who argued their side best?

debate-hope-v-SunburnedPenguin - Winner Announced - Page 3 Tbl_sh1161%debate-hope-v-SunburnedPenguin - Winner Announced - Page 3 Tbl_sh10 61% 
[ 11 ]
debate-hope-v-SunburnedPenguin - Winner Announced - Page 3 Tbl_sh1139%debate-hope-v-SunburnedPenguin - Winner Announced - Page 3 Tbl_sh10 39% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 18

Poll closed

debate-hope-v-SunburnedPenguin - Winner Announced - Page 3 Empty Re: debate-hope-v-SunburnedPenguin - Winner Announced

Post by Igs Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:46 pm

SBP -- What do you think of the "Jack just had surgery" angle for him not jumping from the heli? Trekking the island was hard enough...but leaping from a helicopter and swimming back to shore? No way Jack can do that. Does being the hero mean that you have to effectively choose death even where other capable adults (Desmond, Sawyer, Sayid, Kate, Sun) may solve the problem with a very low risk of death?

SBP -- As you argued, Jack certainly is motivated, in part, by fear of failure. Question though (i) is his desire to prove he is not a failure his only motivation? Or put another way, do you think that Jack is motivated, in part, by a desire to do good (altruistic motives) apart from his fear of failure? If so, does this not make him heroic? Also, I like the idea that overcoming fear makes one more heroic. Your thoughts?

Hope -- is Jack currently a hero? I think it's fair to say, we perceived him as one once. And, we *MAY* again. But is he a hero now? (i.e. drug addiction, poor "father", leaves Jin behind, deceiver, etc.). If Jack's story arc takes him further into this darkness (never to return), would you still consider him a hero?

Last edited by Igs on Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : split infinitive)

Igs
Tailie

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

debate-hope-v-SunburnedPenguin - Winner Announced - Page 3 Empty Re: debate-hope-v-SunburnedPenguin - Winner Announced

Post by SunburnedPenguin Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:48 pm

Igs wrote:SBP -- What do you think of the "Jack just had surgery" angle for him not jumping from the heli? Trekking the island was hard enough...but leaping from a helicopter and swimming back to shore? No way Jack can do that. Does being the hero mean that you have to effectively choose death even where other capable adults (Desmond, Sawyer, Sayid, Kate, Sun) may solve the problem with a very low risk of death?

I think that if he hadnt of ran off into the jungle after the helicopter right after surgery I would agree with you. He proved that it wouldnt stop him, but only if the end suited his needs. Running off like that was another chance for him to prove who is in control of Jack....Jack. If he really was a hero, it wouldnt have stopped him jumping.

Igs wrote:SBP -- As you argued, Jack certainly is motivated, in part, by fear of failure. Question though (i) is his desire to prove he is not a failure his only motivation? Or put another way, do you think that Jack is motivated, in part, by a desire to do good (altruistic motives) apart from his fear of failure? If so, does this not make him heroic? Also, I like the idea that overcoming fear makes one more heroic. Your thoughts?

I think there are many levels to his motivations, including wanting to do good. But they all come down to the same base motivation to fix things and not to fail. By doing good he succeeds.
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lojozz Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:43 am

Good debate guys, fresh off the plane with a nice debate to read and time to still vote, yah.

I think (as Irocz first mentioned) having this as hero/coward was harsh, we have seen Jack do heroic things many times I have never seen him run away (which is usually how (simplistically) I judge a coward). Even when he messes up his relationships he doesn't run away, he cant let go.

I dislike Jack and I wanted to vote against him but the debate IMO has been stronger for the Hero side, admittedly with a lot more material to use.

I would also say that Jack was not in control of the heli, Frank was. Jack is not Franks leader and Frank was making the decisions.
Lojozz
Lojozz

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Joe

http://www.prcanj.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Irocz28 Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:27 am

Hey everyone. Good debate. I wish I could have been more involved. Work was very time consuming the past couple days (I am sure you can relate SBP) Smile

I mentioned earlier that the "coward" argument is a tough one to back up. You have some good arguments SBP and they are well written as always. But as Lojozz said, I also say Hope made the better argument for her side, but with much more material to work with. I have to give my vote to her.
Irocz28
Irocz28
Others

Number of posts : 226
Humor : Seinfeld, Seinfeld, Seinfeld
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Frogurt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:16 am

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the kind comments. I just feel bad because Jax didn't have much of a chance to debate her side.
Hope
Hope
Others

Number of posts : 189
Humor : Don't play leap frog with a unicorn

Character sheet
Name: Illiana Vess

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:57 am

Yes, it would have been better if SunnyP had got more chance to debate.... But it looks like at the moment, Hope is going to be the first to defend her championship sucessfully.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:12 am

Hi all

We have so far recieved only 12 votes. The poll went up a little late so to allow the alloted 48 hours for voting the poll will close in six hours, 3PM GMT.

Stitch

So if you haven't yet voted then you still have time!
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Steve

http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:16 am

Isn't it 24 hours not 48?
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:20 am

Hey its all part of it, if one side has less chance to debate then that is unfortunate, but I wont be surprised if I lose this one...Hope has argued very well indeed.

I am going to make a last attempt at this though, as even though Hopes argument is a strong one, I still think i'm right Very Happy

I knew hero v coward was going to be a tough one for me to argue, but a good debate needs to be challenging. You see....I am not afraid of failure. I know that I have what it takes to deal with failure as I have had to do just that many times in the past and have come out the other side stronger, and hopefully a little wiser. This is something Jack has never learned...even now at the end of season 4 he is struggling to deal with his failure. He sinks into depression, drug use, and un-necassary facial hair because he failed. A bigger man, a stronger man, would know that he had failed in his ulitmate promise to get everyone off the island and he would except that he done everything he could.

A coward is not just someone who cowers from danger, not just someone who trembles at the thought of confrontation....a coward can also be someone who is motivated and dominated by fear, allowing it to control them and cloud their thoughts. A coward is controlled by fear where a hero uses that fear and controls it.

So the question is...does Jack control his fear, or is he controlled by it?
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:20 pm

Hope's argument about the classical notion of a hero as dictated by the 'hero template' of storytelling is the one I think Jack is being portrayed as.

As such, I vote for Hope. But SBP made a great job of shooting holes in Jack's 'All-American Hero' persona!

Last edited by AngeloComet on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:34 pm

I'm gonna have to go with Jack is a hero on this one. Just from the first few episodes in season one, the Jack we see is very heroic.
And even if he has regressed since then we cannot tell what he will become by series end. and even if we could, a slide into a personal hell does not minimize what he has done for so many.

If a drunk, mean puppy-killer saves a child from a burning house he is still a hero. Like him or not. Jack is a hero too.
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 681
Humor : check out TheFlatSpin.com and you'll be sorry you asked that.

http://www.theflatspin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:22 pm

AngeloComet wrote:
As such, I vote for Hope. But SBP made a great job of shooting holes in Jack's 'All-American Hero' persona!

Yes, I thought that was very good too SunnyP.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:14 pm

Congratulations Hope, very well deserved.

Who is going to take her down? Very Happy
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfsignmeup Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:05 pm

He sinks into depression, drug use, and un-necassary facial hair
classic quote Cool

SunnyP, I didnt think there was a chance of you winning this debate even though I thought your arguments were better presented.

The reason is this
debate-hope-v-SunburnedPenguin - Winner Announced - Page 3 Jack
We all still think of Jack with Season one first impressions in mind.
Jacks one of my heroes too.TBH the more effed up he gets the more I love him...probably because he is more like the complicated Sawyer.
I voted for your arguments SunnyP, but baby you were doomed Sad
wtfsignmeup
wtfsignmeup
Others

Number of posts : 354
Humor : huh?

Character sheet
Name: Merrick

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:00 am

wtfsignmeup wrote:
I voted for your arguments SunnyP, but baby you were doomed

No thats a classic quote WTF.

Glad to see that a winner has been announced and that it wasnt so uneven this time! Well done Hope, the first to defend the title successfuly
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:37 am

Well HSM, if you count websites prior to this one, Lojozz actually defended his title successfully first.
But well done on both sides and congrats to Hope.

WTF is right about our initial impressions of Jack. He was a hero when the show began and I think he still is.

A person's identity , in the eyes of others, is defined by his actions and deeds. You can talk about being a hero all day long but until you actually do heroic things, its all just talk.

Jack has done many heroic things and you can't just disregard that becasue of his motivations or reasons.
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 681
Humor : check out TheFlatSpin.com and you'll be sorry you asked that.

http://www.theflatspin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lateralus Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:48 pm

The vote's over?

Dang

You stay away from your computer for two days, and look what happens.
Lateralus
Lateralus
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 526
Humor : "I hate you Milkman Dan"
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: Lateralus Finn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:46 pm

thank you everyone!!
Hope
Hope
Others

Number of posts : 189
Humor : Don't play leap frog with a unicorn

Character sheet
Name: Illiana Vess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3