Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon

5 posters

Go down

Wimbledon Empty Wimbledon

Post by TheHolyStickman Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:58 pm

This just about scrapes into 'Other Lost Stuff' and not 'Other Chat' I'll tell you why later.

I went to wimbledon yesterday, and aside from delays due to err... people under trains. It was amazing. I'm a big tennis fan. Most days I go out to play with my friends down at the courts. I was on first court in the front row! My head was the height of the net! At one point I was about 2m away from Maria Sharapova.

I saw; Gasquet (No 8 seed) vs Mardy Fish - Gasquet won
Sharapova vs Some other girl - This game was over quite quickly Sharapova walked all over the other girl
Roddick (No 6 seed) vs Schwank - This was an amazing game, at one point Roddick served a 140 mph ace against Schwank. The unseeded Schwank held his serve really well against Roddick. And if he was playing anyone else with a weaker serve he would have gotten through.

We also wandered round for a while. It's massive! I almost lost myself round all the courts, theres so much stuff there. But everything is really expensive. £3.00 for a little pot of ice cream. Although it was the best ice cream in the world. Very Happy

And guess what my seat number was... thats right 42. And nothing bad happened.Mad Those number are supposed to be cursed.

I don't know if any of you are tennis fans, if your not then a lot of what I just said was nonsense to you. Now we just sit and wait for MSHL to make a pervy comment about Sharapova. lol!

TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Empty Re: Wimbledon

Post by Shamballa Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:36 pm

Sounds like you had a great time THS. Normally I don't follow Tennis but I tune in to watch the later rounds of mens singles. It's not the same as the heady days of McEnroe and Connors I remember as a teen.

One of my fondest memories of watching tennis was following Connors comeback during the '91 US Open at age 39. He eventually lost to Jim Courier but it was a blast watching him play.

My hometown Indianapolis hosts the RCA Tennis Championship in mid July. I haven't made it downtown to watch a match yet but have always thought about doing so. It's always intolerably hot here in July though!
Shamballa
Shamballa

Number of posts : 621
Humor : Only on Tuesdays
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Mat Deade

http://shamballa108.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by solarchap Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:33 am

ah THS, you left the shores of Caister or Norwich or thereabouts, and travelled the highways to Old London Town and it's suburbs.

While we are talking Wimbledon, Bjorn Borg has the same birthday as me, or perhaps it's the other way around.

I would have arranged a meet, but there are laws about meeting teenagers on the internet and buying them ice-cream!

I am truly envious of your 2M close proximity to Sharapova, that is 2000000M closer than I will probably ever get.

Ah Wimbledon...Lager...Strawberries...Sharapova's scant attire....truly a great day out!

I hope you didn't meet any highwaymen on your trek back to the old country!
solarchap
solarchap
Others

Number of posts : 263
Humor : Lots
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: Dirk Diggler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:00 am

solarchap wrote:ah THS, you left the shores of Caister or Norwich or thereabouts, and travelled the highways to Old London Town and it's suburbs.

Actaully Thats quite close, I'm about 20mins drive away from Norwich.

solarchap wrote:While we are talking Wimbledon, Bjorn Borg has the same birthday as me, or perhaps it's the other way around.

Its the other way around. Very Happy

solarchap wrote:I would have arranged a meet, but there are laws about meeting teenagers on the internet and buying them ice-cream!

lol! That was hilarious.

solarchap wrote:I am truly envious of your 2M close proximity to Sharapova, that is 2000000M closer than I will probably ever get.

I know!

solarchap wrote:Ah Wimbledon...Lager...Strawberries...Sharapova's scant attire....truly a great day out!

Yep, doesn't get much better than that. Unless they were showing lost on the big screen that is....

solarchap wrote:I hope you didn't meet any highwaymen on your trek back to the old country!

Um... I don't think so. scratch
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:18 pm

solarchap wrote:
I would have arranged a meet, but there are laws about meeting teenagers on the internet and buying them ice-cream!

Actually HSM is only twelve and not yet even considered a teen yet!
Personally I think he is twelve going on 23. Smile

Actually I was going to say going on thirty ,but for some reason,the number 23 was the first one that came to mind. Laughing

I hope you take this as a compliment Stickman, cause it is.
You are wise far beyond years, I just hope you are also enjoying your youth,because believe me, the years pass by much to quickly.
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 634
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Miranda Eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by solarchap Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:51 pm

I agree with you katesawjack, he is indeed wise beyond his years, I think we should go to his house in Norfolk and present him with six items!

Stickman, the highwayman statement was an elitist comedy type thing i.e. I live in London (Um Heap Big City) and so consider any of the Shires (Norfolkshire included!) as peripheral and fair game for jokes about the Dark Ages (MSHL knows what I am talking about!), it's just an extension of the North/South humour that also permeates our culture.

In fact, London itself has it's own North/South divide thing going on...comedic regress! I love it!

Your observance of the 'one under' which hampered your travel time to Wimbledon is but a common occurrence for us city-types, and it happens quite a lot. What is worrying is that people don't even tend to moan or tut about it these days! They just look at their watches and carry on reading their papers. Not sure what that says about society as a whole.

But anyway, I hope your arduous journey back through the highways and byways of Lawless middle england passed without further incident, albeit the odd toothless crone perhaps, and that you arrived safely in your hamlet, before the sky fell on your head!
Very Happy
solarchap
solarchap
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinMonster Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:04 pm

Come on Andy Murray!
At last a Brit with some backbone. Been watching this boy for years and on his day he can beat the very best.
SmokinMonster
SmokinMonster
Lostie

Number of posts : 61
Humor : Lavatorial
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:05 am

Yes he is very good at his peak.

He's been playing the most consistently I've ever seen him play at the moment.

But on Monday he's playing Richard Gasquet the no8 seed. And Gasquets been playing well he got to the semi's last year. I don't know if he'll make it.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinMonster Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:29 am

Yeah, you're right Stickman. Defo at his most consistent just now. Seems to have his temper in check(Just). If he can see off Gasquet, might be a good bet to go all the way. Partisan crowd on Centre Court may be an advantage.

He should order a failsafe key for luck. Mines is working wonders because I whupped my 6 year old daughter at Kerplunk today!!!
Eat my dust SmokinMonsterette!!!
SmokinMonster
SmokinMonster
Lostie

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:58 am

You just wait till she turns 9, she whip you at any board game Smokin.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinMonster Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:33 pm

Thats ok. Three more years of glory!!

Next up, a game of Operation with her goldfish!
SmokinMonster
SmokinMonster
Lostie

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:15 pm

Anyone watching the murray-Gasquet game. Its so close. 2-2 in sets and 4-2 in games to Murray. Its so exciting. Very Happy
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinMonster Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:50 pm

GO ON ANDY!!!

Yeah Stickman. Just finished watchin it there, me and Mrs SmokinMonster. Probably one of the most exciting games Ive seen in years.

I am biased of course with Murray being a Scotsman. Och aye.

Nadal next isnt it? Its a big test for Murray but the way he is playing anything could happen!

That shot to win the third set, Murrays celebration and the crowd reaction was fantastic!
SmokinMonster
SmokinMonster
Lostie

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:10 pm

Nadal vs Murray today. Sad I don't think he'll do it this time. But the Federer, Ancic game has been good. And there's gonna be an unseeded in the semi's for sure. Clement and Cilic are both unseeded and playing each other. Very Happy

Still, Murray Nadal should be a good game.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by solarchap Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:18 pm

Andy Murray can't win.

The press are already criticising his 'attitude' !!

To be the champ, you got to have some attitude haven't you?

Finally, we have a real gritty candidate, who tells it as it is, he doesn't stand on convention i.e. eating his dinner while being interviewed (I loved that! spoke with his mouthful and everything!) and showing his aggressiveness during the game.... and the press, instead of bigging-him-up and supporting him have been criticising him!

No good -get criticised....

Really Good - get criticised....

you just can't win it seems.
solarchap
solarchap
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down