Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Implant Rant

+6
chirpey1987
TheHolyStickman
Hope
blonde
SomeArztOnYou
AngeloComet
10 posters

Go down

The Implant Rant Empty The Implant Rant

Post by AngeloComet Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:25 am

The incident when Claire suddenly became ill because of the implant that had been ‘activated’ in her was, and is, one of the sneakiest cheats Lost has ever produced. It smacked of a writing contrivance designed to facilitate one thing: Juliet’s acceptance in the camp and the surprise reveal of her duplicitous infiltration.

The Implant Rant Traitor+Juliet

The incident in question occurred during the episode One Of Us. To recap: Juliet was introduced to the Oceanic camp and, rightly, many were not willing to trust her. Then Claire became ill, and Juliet claimed to know what was wrong and got the antidote and saved Claire’s life. The Oceanic group then trusted her, only for it to be revealed that the whole scheme had been set-up, an implant in Claire activated, as part of Ben’s plan to initiate Juliet into the group as a spy.

The Implant Rant Ben+plots+with+Juliet

Convenient, don't you think? That someone had the foresight to implant Claire way back when for just such an occasion? But let me suspend cynicism for a moment and consider this implant on its own terms. Since Claire was implanted during her term of capture with The Others we are posed two questions. Was the implant the sole purpose of Claire’s capture? Or was it a contingency measure, like a failsafe?

I am forced to believe the implant was inserted as a contingency plan because the alternative is ludicrous. If the goal had been to plant an implant then they could have drugged Claire unconscious, put the implant in and then left her in the jungle somewhere. The elaborate staging of a Staff Station and a nursery. . . Give me a break. Ben is fertility-obsessive, for crying out loud!

The Implant Rant Ethan+Injecting+Claire

Ben went to the trouble of capturing a pregnant woman to stick an implant in her and then release her? No he didn't.

Ethan was sent in so he could risk himself (he’s the surgeon!) to pull a con to implant an innocent woman from the survivor's camp? Doesn't make sense.

So, let's be clear: Claire was kidnapped for her baby. Full stop. No arguments. Therefore the implant was inserted as a contingency measure. Right. Great. Only Claire escaped, right? So maybe, you know, that might have been a good time to employ the contingency plan. Don’t forget, after Claire escaped Ethan went back and died trying to re-capture her. Perhaps using the implant before Ethan was sent in, alone, might have been a good idea, no?

The Implant Rant Ethan+and+Charlie

What Ethan did was find Charlie and threaten to kill Oceanic people until Claire was given up. (So much for Ben and his ‘don’t kill innocent’ people policy.) Maybe a better plan would have been to trigger the implant and then have Ethan tell Charlie that, unless Claire was returned to him, she would die. That might have produced a better result. That might have avoided the death of Ethan, the surgeon, who Ben might have found useful for that spinal tumor he knew all about before any of this happened.

The Implant Rant Dead+Ethan

Clearly there was no way this implant was part of the writing plan when Claire was kidnapped. The implant was not the original intention – it was invented as a plot mechanism to get Juliet into the Oceanic group and that’s that.

Notice how we don't get details. I mean, how exactly did that implant work? How did they get it in there? (Injection? In Claire's head? And wasn’t Ethan administering injections to Claire while she slept in camp? Could he not have injected an implant into her and everyone else in this fashion!?) How did they activate it? (Remote frequency that's not inhibited by the electromagnetic anomaly or distress signal or Looking Glass jammer?) How does it cause Claire's pain? And how does the vaccine Juliet give Claire manage to stop it? Is the implant de-activated now? Or just on standby? Good grief. . .

The Implant Rant Claire+In+Cabin

Maybe the implant had another mode where it makes Claire give up her baby and leave it in the jungle and go off following her father in a strange cabin that appears and disappears at intervals. To be honest, it’s just as plausible.

Who else is implanted now, by the way? Jack and Kate? Michael? When it appeared blood had been taken from them was it really just implants being put in? I guess when Ben was fake-putting-in-pacemaker for Sawyer he quickly had an implant popped in there, too. Why not? You never know when an implant comes in handy! Whether you’re an Other just looking to make some friends, or a writer in a fix, those implants will do the trick!

AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Implant Rant Empty Re: The Implant Rant

Post by SomeArztOnYou Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:43 am

And here I thought you were upset about my avatar or something.
SomeArztOnYou
SomeArztOnYou
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 800
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: Otto Hanren

http://www.myspace.com/lawnmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 am

AC....a fair complaint & well-written as always....assuming we accept & believe in the rest of the logic that has been thrown at us every time the writers hit a wall. For Christ's sake we watched a island disapear b/c Ben turned a donkey wheel.

Bottom line: You nailed it.
Beneath the bottom line in small print: No refunds of exhanges.

This would actually make a fun thread......things the writers expected us to accept that WAY exceed the basic boundaries of television fiction.
blonde
blonde
Others

Number of posts : 437
Humor : +1

Character sheet
Name: Tallulah-Raye

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:08 am

P.S....I am more a fan of your Issabell (sp?) rant b/c it was just insulting. They played us on that by making her so powerful one second to secure our investment in the character and then flop the story & chalk her death up to the tent bombings. Cheap...and not in a good way. LOL
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:16 am

Always good AC. I still don't trust Juliet though. I was never impressed with the whole inplant thing anyways but had forgotten about it.
Hope
Hope
Others

Number of posts : 189
Humor : Don't play leap frog with a unicorn

Character sheet
Name: Illiana Vess

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:31 am

Good AC, when I started reading this I had no problem with the implant. But you changed my opinion. Good work! Very Happy
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by chirpey1987 Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:06 pm

I never really thought abouth the implant in such depth, i am now though
chirpey1987
chirpey1987
Others

Number of posts : 218
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Amy-Louise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lateralus Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:08 pm

Very cool stuff.

I had forgotten all about that until my wife brought it up after Jacks backwoods appendectomy by Juliet. She still thinks Juliet put an implant in Jack at that time. Maybe like a tracking device.

I’m not convinced of that though. After seeing those sat-phones, I guess it could be possible to have a tiny GPS tracker in Jack that Juliet could zero in one using the Dharma-puters she has been around while hanging out with Ben. But I still think that was just a scene to show us the island let Jack get sick, and Juliet was giving up on gettin’ with Jack.I guess the implant is like Juliet’s branding by the disappearing Isabel. Something that sounded cool at the time, but got dropped after a writers meeting where they realized how silly that direction was heading.
Lateralus
Lateralus
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 526
Humor : "I hate you Milkman Dan"
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: Lateralus Finn

Back to top Go down

Post by ravenontheleft Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:30 am

Hmmm...I just read the synopsis on lostpedia just to make sure I had my facts right, but I have to say I disagree with the point that the writers simply used the implant as a last minute measure to enable their far fetched plot or because their was "a writer in a fix."

Consider how Ben always has a plan several steps ahead of anyone he encounters. It is highly probable that after his first 2 infiltration of the camps failed, he formulated a new plan of how he would get another Other in there. This implant would have clinched his/her trustworthiness (which it ultimately did). He may not of known who would be the spy (Juliet) or when would be his opportunity(much later in the show), but he realized it had to be done. When Ethan took Claire he saw the chance to set the stage for future espionage. Additionally I would like to point out that his plan wouldn't have had to be that far in advance. From implantation (day 58-59) to activation (day 82-84) only 26 days have elapsed! Surely Ben can scheme 26 days into the future. He's done far more impressive planning.

Also, perhaps the implant truly does have other uses. But maybe Ben really is a good guy working for a good cause and has only used it in order to cause positive repercussions.

Last edited by ravenontheleft on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
ravenontheleft
ravenontheleft
Lostie

Number of posts : 53
Humor : Dark, Dry, Absurdist
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Character sheet
Name: Libby

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:34 am

I tend to agree with Raven om this implant question! Very Happy
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Steve

http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:38 pm

Rave, Stitch - come off it!

There is NO WAY that the writers considered the idea of Claire being implanted with anything when they had her kidnapped in Season One. They made it up afterwards to solve a writing problem.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:03 am

Absolutely agree AC. When I heard the word "implant" on the episode I almost physically groaned it was so lame. A bit of deux ex machina if you ask me (the term, not the episode title)

If they had slipped in a line like "Juliet, did you take care of Claire?" "Yes, I slipped it in her food, nobody noticed..." something implying that Juliet slipped Claire some kind of chemical poison that wasn't really serious but gave scary symptoms, that would have been much more acceptable.

The idea of an implant and even the Others having such an implant is almost insulting. Why would somebody invent an implant that got someone sick when triggered? And why didn't everybody captured or attacked by the Others have one implanted?
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 681
Humor : check out TheFlatSpin.com and you'll be sorry you asked that.
Registration date : 2008-05-14

http://www.theflatspin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:35 am

MyStarbuckHatesLost wrote: Why would somebody invent an implant that got someone sick when triggered?

That deserves to be paired up with a family guy flashback its what I was thinking when I read it.

And Raven when you say the time scale between Claires implantion and the activation was only 26 days on island, it was actually a few seasons in real time. The writers write all of Bens actions they would have had to plan seasons ahead. Thats a long time to plan ahead.

But its just a fun little rant it doesn't matters who's wrong or right because we'll never hear of it on lost again.

And also Hi Angelo, I haven't seen you in about a week. Very Happy Been on holiday?
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ravenontheleft Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:49 am

I am aware that the implant was not revealed for seasons, but in terms of believability you have to consider it from the character's time perspective instead of our real world.

I just don't think that it was offensive to our sensibilities to put a twist into the show. It's Lost...this happens almost every single episode.

If you want to think about something that definitely wasn't planned in advance think about Ben. Darlton have said that he wasn't even supposed to be a reoccurring character! Imagine how his entire storyline (with Widmore, Alex, Juliet, Locke, EVERYTHING!) was not in the original outline of the show. That will make you wonder if the writers are just making things up as they go.
ravenontheleft
ravenontheleft
Lostie

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:00 am

No, Micheal Emerson was not supposed to be in the show. There was going to be a different actor to play Ben as the leader of the others. But Micheal Emerson was so good that they tweaked the story so that he could stay and become the leader of the others.

But I agree with you on the twist thing Raven. I think a real twist would be if there wasn't a twist at the end. That would be a shock. lol!
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ravenontheleft Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:33 am

I was under the impression that the character of Ben was entirely fabricated (storyline and all) after Michael Emerson joined. I can't find anywhere online where they discuss him replacing anyone.
ravenontheleft
ravenontheleft
Lostie

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:27 am

Rave, I doubt you'll find anywhere that discusses the idea that Henry Gale (as we knew him) was ever going to be 'Ben'. As we know, as THS points out, Emerson did such a good job they kept him on.

However, it's almost certain there was a Ben CHARACTER. A leader of The Others. Someone that was not Mr. Friendly. Someone that sent 'Henry Gale' to infiltrate the Oceanic camp.

(Given 'Henry Gale's' talk of "He" not being a forgiving person - we know now that he was talking of Jacob. However, at the time, did the writers have the idea of a semi-existent being in a cabin known as Jacob written down as a plan? I doubt it.)

And yeah, THS, I had a splendid holiday in scorching heat whilst the UK, I hear, has been rained on constantly. . .
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:17 am

Welcome back AC...Raven you make great points....but at the end of the day the writers grabbed straws IMHO!!!
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content