Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veteran LOST opinions/theories needed

+4
Shamballa
Occam
AngeloComet
CosmicJewels
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Veteran LOST opinions/theories needed Empty Veteran LOST opinions/theories needed

Post by CosmicJewels Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:07 am

I began watching LOST the first season. My darling hubbie enjoyed it too and then, for various reasons, we ended up missing most of the second season. Sounds nearly impossible for most LOST lovers I know! Anyway we started watching it again during Season 4 and I tried my best to "fill in" the missing parts never realizing the intricacies of the story line. It's been a patchwork of reading LT, darkufo, other losties comments, watching youtube, listening to what others say and then realizing the only way to ever even get a clue as to what's going on is to watch Season 2 and 3.

Finding this site has been the best help of all with all the friendly chat and so forth. That's why I don't feel at all intimidated to ask your opions.

Okay. I watched all of Season 1 again and am now on the fourth episode of Season 2. It's one great way to fill in this long gap between now and the new season.

One main question I have, after reading a few theories about androids, is how many of you think that Hanso could have been working on creating them? Would it help explain quite a lot about why people can't kill themselves? Questions along those lines. It would explain Claire's odd behavior at the cabin, Jacob, Christian and even if Aaron could possibly be an android switched by Rousseau when she took him from Claire's arms and left. Maybe the child Kate has is not the original Aaron?

Help if you can please! My brain is getting frizzled by this possiblity.

Thanks. Smile
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Veteran LOST opinions/theories needed Empty Re: Veteran LOST opinions/theories needed

Post by AngeloComet Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:19 am

My quick response is this: Forget the android idea.

(It's a bit too close to Cylons from Battlestar Galactica for one thing, and would also feel like a monumental cheat for another.)

The Hanso Foundation, from their site that was released some time back, have never shown any indication of robotic research. Same goes for Dharma. Life extension and all of the zoological, meteorological stuff, yes. Robotics, androids, technology in that sense at all, no.

Claire gave birth for one thing. That means she's an android that can get pregnant! That's a spectacular robot! (And Christian's her dad! What does that make him!?)

Anyway. No. I am certain. No androids. You need any other advice or guidance, you just give me a shout!

study
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Veteran LOST opinions/theories needed Empty Re: Veteran LOST opinions/theories needed

Post by Occam Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:21 am

CosmicJewels wrote:Would it help explain quite a lot about why people can't kill themselves?

Only if you were talking about "Asimovian Robots". But then, someone should have tingled with the First and Second Laws... Very Happy

Occam
Others

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:58 pm

While the idea that they are robots or androids hasn't specifically been debunked (that I can find), I think that it falls into the "they are zombies" or "they are clones" category. As AC suggested, it doesn't quite fit into the feel of the science of LOST which tends to blur with mysticism and is never truly explained.

I think the writers have taken great pains to set up the back stories of these individuals, stressing their flaws and the human element. Keeping it real is more of a reason to care about the characters. Can you imagine the let down if at the end we discover they were all just some Dharma machines? Androids? Not in my mind.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Number of posts : 621
Humor : Only on Tuesdays
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Mat Deade

http://shamballa108.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:28 pm

Thank you all for getting back to me on that. We watched the episode last night where Shannon is shot by Ana Lucia. I do not..............at all......like the character of Ana.

The android angle is revolving in my mind mainly because of Claire's baby being taken from her for that short while.

If anyone might be interested here are a couple sites about various human like androids now being developed.

http://www.macdorman.com/kfm/writings/pubs/MacDorman2006AndroidScience.pdf

http://www.aboutai.net/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=2&article=aa030500a.htm

This was a blurb from Popular Mechanics "Androids and Bots for Kids" about one of the characters.

Charles Powell
Role: Charlie
-Studied in Los Angeles, California with Bobby Hoffman and Zina Provendie. -Brother of Doug "Rhino" Powell, lead singer of the Alternative Rock Group "CAVE".

Okay. Enough for today. LOST makes me get more lost than any other show I have ever seen!

Thanks again everyone!
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by tracker Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:47 pm

I never liked Ana Lucia but I miss her character. She had a real edgy, grating, underlying sexual tension-type personality.

If she wasn't arrested for DUI, she'd probably still be on the show.
tracker
tracker
Others

Number of posts : 237
Humor : Hell hath no fury like a woman's corns.......Archie Bunker
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:21 pm

tracker wrote:I never liked Ana Lucia but I miss her character. She had a real edgy, grating, underlying sexual tension-type personality.

If she wasn't arrested for DUI, she'd probably still be on the show.

She portrayed her part with an edge and was grating I agree but showed an over abundance of pure cruelty and bullying. She seemed to be very taken with herself in the role. Sawyer would have done a number on her if she had survived! Smile
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Cosmic, when Shannon died I bet you jumped out of your seat or let out a gasp of surprise or something. But now you think about it... would it make any difference if she was still alive. I mean she didn't even motivate Sayid to do anything after a few episodes he was back to his old self. If she had changed his character completely I would have seen a lot more reason in her death. But no she did nothing to the show.

And don't get me started on Ana Lucia... Very Happy
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:02 pm

TheHolyStickman wrote:

And don't get me started on Ana Lucia... Very Happy

Okay! Very Happy
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:49 pm

What! Thats not how it goes! Your supposed to say 'Why not'. Then I go in to a big long rant about her and we all go home happy.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:11 pm

TheHolyStickman wrote:What! Thats not how it goes! Your supposed to say 'Why not'. Then I go in to a big long rant about her and we all go home happy.

Laughing. Okay then......"Why not?" Go on that long rant so we can all go home happy!
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Found more out about Hanso and possible androids from another site.

http://www.hansoair.org/announcement.html

They mention more than one flight going down in the Pacific and changing their name from Oceanic to Hansoair. Why then, if that's so, did the O6 arrive back with Oceanic logos, etc.?
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:38 pm

CosmicJewels wrote:Found more out about Hanso

Answering myself. I guess that hansoair was phony bologna all the way. Duh!!
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:02 pm

CosmicJewels wrote:Laughing. Okay then......"Why not?" Go on that long rant so we can all go home happy!

Oh no! Its too late now you spoiled the moment. That rant would be awkward and out of place now. I hope youre happy because I'm certainly not. Mad

Kidding Very Happy
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Pleeeeeeeeeeese? Rant away!! Smile
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Oh ok. Very Happy

Well... she fell onto our screen in series two down the trap and at first I liked her. Sawyer wasn't really a favourite at that point so some girl beating him up was a nice bonus. But then you got to know her character, she was an arrogant, annoying, harsh voiced bully. She had the most unrealistic characteristics I have ever seen and that includes Locke. Mr I-see-stuff-in-the-jungle-but-don't-tell-anyone.

I didn't help that we were made to think she kidnapped Sun. And she wanted to raise an army out of the losties. Can you imagine that! We're lucky she wasn't a major character. But what really annoys me about her is that she didn't actually do anything. She was a strong brave person who used to be a cop so you expected her to go on loads of A-team missions. But no! She didn't do anything. She was in the minor stories of each episode just annoying other characters and causing arguments.

She was also introduced beside the perfectly fine Libby. She was a good actor had a believable story had a nice voice. And most importantly made a big impact on Hurley she changed him from the fun loving Hurley to the Hurley that was even more kind and caring. And with her death she changed Hurley into serious Hurley. Maybe you didn't like the change but she still did something.

Overall Libby was everything that Ana Lucia wasn't. Which made me like her character a lot more. Who does Micheal still feel guilty about. Libby. Thats who he keeps seeing, not Ana Lucia. Thats why I don't like Ana Lucia.

TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:11 pm

TheHolyStickman wrote:Oh ok. Very Happy

But then you got to know her character, she was an arrogant, annoying, harsh voiced bully. She had the most unrealistic characteristics I have ever seen and that includes Locke. Mr I-see-stuff-in-the-jungle-but-don't-tell-anyone.

TheHolyStickman

You summed up nicely what I felt watching her character. I won't be sorry to see her go. As far as Locke goes? I started not liking his holier than thou persona and that he lied to Jack (about the hatch and how Boone was injured) a few episodes back.

Lovin LOST!

Thanks for a terrific "rant" THS.
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:30 am

Well I haven't got to the standards of AC yet but I like to write pieces on lost.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:00 am

TheHolyStickman wrote:Well I haven't got to the standards of AC yet but I like to write pieces on lost.

AC does write very well, and with a good insight too, about the show. Being able to discuss it with others adds so much to the show itself. Keep up the good work/rants! Smile
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:45 am

THS:

Well I haven't got to the standards of AC. . .

Who has?
Cool
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:31 am

AngeloComet wrote:THS:

Well I haven't got to the standards of AC. . .

Who has?
Cool
Ummm, Me.
Very Happy
Still reading your BSG blog. Good stuff as always.
For those of you who haven't see AC's Battlestar Galactica blog check it out at http://angelocometbsg.blogspot.com/search/label/Miniseries.
But beware that if you haven't seen the show yet that it contains summaries of all the episodes. If you are a BSG fan and have seen the show the you'll enjoy reading the summaries and seeing the episodes again through the fresh eyes of someone who is seeing it for the first time.

HSM, After having just read your rant, I must say...Please, say what's on your mind. You shouldn't keep it all bottled up. Let it out and tell us how you really feel.
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 681
Humor : check out TheFlatSpin.com and you'll be sorry you asked that.
Registration date : 2008-05-14

http://www.theflatspin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:50 am

Thanks for the plug, MSHL!

(I've actually got a backlog of those summaries. I was watching episodes on my laptop - then writing a reaction - then watching the next ones. So you can expect a steady flow of 'em popping up daily as I upload them in.)
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaina Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:36 pm

AC... I love the BSG blog.
Alaina
Alaina
Others

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Sad I want to look at it But I haven't seen any of them. Does anyone know where I can watch them online. I found one website once but the first episode wasn't on there and I needed to watch that! Any suggestions?

And sorry Cosmic Jewels we've sorta stolen your post.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:36 pm

Steal away. I'm enjoying how one opinion leads to another and more conversation. Like you, I'm liking the fact we are all finding lots of "Lost" stuff, amongst picture wars, etc., to help us pass the time until Season 5 begins.
It all helps me figure out what can be figured out as I get more into the individual episodes on Season 2.
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next