Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cindy Cindy Cindy

+7
MyStarbuckHatesLost
Occam
AngeloComet
TheHolyStickman
Lateralus
chirpey1987
Irocz28
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cindy Cindy Cindy - Page 2 Empty Re: Cindy Cindy Cindy

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:51 pm

Not hearing CIndy during her abduction is not an issue. I've been in tropical jungles on more than one occasion. Get more than 15 feet from someone in the jungle and the ambiant noise and sound-scattering vegetation can easily block out sounds that are not so loud. Jungles are NOT quiet places.

And, refresh my memory here, was it raining when she dissapeared or was that just when Anna shot Shannon?

I'm in the "conversion after abduction" camp. Let us not forget Room 23

Hey, wait a minute...didn't I already post this? Damned bad memory.

Anyway, my point is
Not hearing CIndy during her abduction is not an issue. I've been in tropical jungles on more than one occasion. Get more than 15 feet from someone in the jungle and the ambiant noise and sound-scattering vegetation can easily block out sounds that are not so loud. Jungles are NOT quiet places.

And, refresh my memory here, was it raining when she dissapeared or was that just when Anna shot Shannon?

I'm in the "conversion after abduction" camp. Let us not forget Room 23
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 681
Humor : check out TheFlatSpin.com and you'll be sorry you asked that.
Registration date : 2008-05-14

http://www.theflatspin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Occam Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:55 pm

MyStarbuckHatesLost wrote:Jungles are NOT quiet places.

"Lost Island" jungle is. Which is weird, in fact. I'm still waiting for a sample of the "Island's abundant and diverse wildlife" the sonic fence was protecting New Otherton from --Dr. Marvin Candle, or whichever name he chose to use, said. Of course, no *actual* wildlife means no *actual* noise...

Occam
Others

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:16 pm

There would have been wildlife on the island Occam, just not inside the sonar fence. Remember the frog that annoyed Sawyer. So I think that if you combine the fact that Cindy was at the back of the group and that jungles are not quiet with the 'lost factor'* then you say that Cindy's silent capture is realistic.

AC, how can you compare Cindy to Jacob. Jacob has been shown to have supernatual powers and according to Ben is the leader of the others and therefore practically owns the island. He's been mentioned in several episodes and clearly is an important future character.

Cindy is an Austrailian flight attendant who landed on the island in a plane crash. She was then taken by the others, shown once for a few seconds and then has not been seen or mentioned since. She didn't even do anything significant in the episodes she was in. CINDY IS NOT IMPORTANT! (But she's better than Ana Lucia.) I am willing to bet she will not appear again. The writers didn't even bother to kill her off she was just chucked away in the background never to be seen again.

Now I'm going to stop before this qualifies as a 'rant'.

TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by Occam Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:39 am

TheHolyStickman wrote:There would have been wildlife on the island Occam, just not inside the sonar fence. Remember the frog that annoyed Sawyer.

Yes, I remember that frog. And some boars --not that many. Oh, and a "medusa" spider. Anything else? Like, birds??? You know, jungles usually are full of friggin' birds, and that's the source of most of the noise.

There's no "abundant and diverse wildlife". That's Candle's way of saying "we want you guys inside the fence, but we're not going to tell you why and anyway we don't want you to be that scared". Season 1 is all about strolls through the jungle and... where are the animals? Oh, yes, they find a couple of boars --which is weird, 'cause they doesn't seem to fit in a tropical jungle, but maybe I'm wrong-- and... a polar bear. Or two. You know, your everyday jungle pet.

Occam
Others

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:59 am

THS - Cindy represents people taken by The Others, people who for whatever reason were qualified to be on Jacob's List.

She and the rest of them (there are about 13, in all, I believe) were gathered around the cages that time and informed they were there to watch. They were also part of the pilgrimage to The Temple. (Remember Ben's remark that The Temple was a secret only for certain people? Important people? Cindy is one of them!)

I'm not comparing Cindy to Jacob in terms of status. What I am stating is that her lack of screentime does not demean the idea that she can have an important role in Lost. As I have said, Jacob has, when you think about it, barely been in the show, and yet has managed to become a totemic figurehead.

Point is: screentime does not equal importance. In that manner, Cindy is important.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyCocktail Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:24 pm

I do not believe that Cindy was "captured and converted" at all.
I feel pretty certain that she, like Seth Norris, is a plant most likely working for Widmore.
MollyCocktail
MollyCocktail
Others

Number of posts : 325
Humor : Insane

Character sheet
Name: Jacob

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:37 pm

If Seth Norris was a plant, that would mean he willingly flew to an Island he had no place to land on. (In fact, if they hadn't crashed, he would have probably flown right over it. So where was Seth headed?)

Unless Seth knew they would crash. In which case he willingly elected to pilot a plane that was going to drop out of the sky in bits and crash to the ground.

Similarly, it would mean Cindy elected to be onboard a plane that was going to drop out of the sky with her in it.

I have a hard time reconciling why anyone would willingly be in a plane crash, which is where I always fall down in trying to grasp the idea that the crash was planned and arranged to get all of the survivors to the Island.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Cindy Cindy Cindy - Page 2 Empty cindy cindy cindy

Post by mortoncombat Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:36 pm

I've gotta agree with AC on this one. Captured and converted is the only way it makes sense to me.
As for Cindys importance, surely her quick introduction and/or indoctrination into the others way of life and lack of screen time lends her to having an even more important role within the show or our understanding of it.

All of this adds to the shows mystery and as you know keeps us coming back for more, heck there is three pages of discussion on this already!
mortoncombat
mortoncombat
Flight Attendant

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:20 pm

I am in agreement with AC on this b/c it is an easier pill to swallow. With that being said it will always bother me that Cindy was the one to have the conversation with Locke when he joined the others. Cindy was the one who calmly told Locke that they had "been waiting for him". If Cindy is a converted-other, then she is a "MEGA-converted-other". Converted via Room 23.
blonde
blonde
Others

Number of posts : 437
Humor : +1

Character sheet
Name: Tallulah-Raye

Back to top Go down

Post by Igs Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:24 am

Although honestly, I am strictly neutral here. I will come to the side of THS because I think his side is equally as plausible as AC's.

Blonde, AC -- perhaps Cindy's entire role is to convince us how easy it is to convert the right people to the side of the Others. Given that we have, at some level, had to deal with a morally ambiguous Others (i.e. we always feel they are wrong, yet at the same time, we are challenged with the immoral acts of the Losties and asked -- is there something to these Others that we should be accounting for), Cindy is the perfect question mark.

Our lack of knowledge of how/when she was converted leads us to question (esp. for us detail oriented fans) the moral aspects of the Others. We learn that some people, flight attendants and children, have become willing parts of the Others society. This creates huge dilemma -- if they are so immoral, how come these otherwise seemingly moral people have so easily come to their side????

I think this question/doubt is the overriding value of Cindy. I think, outside this, her role will be fairly minimal. Like anyone else though, I totally admit to the possibility I am 100% wrong.

But like THS, I think she has served her purpose and her role, if any, going forward will not be significant.

Igs
Tailie

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum