Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

+13
StitchExp626
Annie79
MollyCocktail
dabiatchishere
Lateralus
tracker
Alaina
TheHolyStickman
vincentthedog
SunburnedPenguin
wtfsignmeup
John_Vee
AngeloComet
17 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated - Page 3 Empty Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by dabiatchishere Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:14 pm

Igs, Right back at you! I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation, and particularly the insight you provided!!!

While our individual focus may vary, I do feel we are passionate about the subject, and are open to learning, as opposed to accepting 'the hype'.

I truly respect your thoughts and views, and know one thing for certain. As independent thinkers, we will NEVER see one another in that line-up for the Kool-Aid, thankfully!

Cheers!
dabiatchishere
dabiatchishere
Others

Number of posts : 119
Humor : Outrageous!
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated - Page 3 Empty Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by AngeloComet Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:20 pm

Igs said:
A/C, by the way, unless I remember my earth science class wrong, you *may* be mistaken in your initial post saying trees emit far more CO2 than humans. As I remember it, trees absorb CO2 and release oxygen.

Heh heh! Yeah, I know. Me make joke! (That was why I put "trees" in italics.) This thread began life as a little rant, don't forget! And my rants always come with a side salad of grins on toast.

Whatever that means.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Caged_Faraday Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:24 pm

Igs wrote:Got ya Caged. Although your post nearly launched me into a spiel on:
"we are government policy makers -- we're voters" Very Happy
A very valid point.

Igs wrote:But point well taken, I am no climatologist or geologist and, after all, this is a Lost website.
It is... but then again, we could simply view ourselves as a collection of thinkers, brought together by our mutual love of LOST. But please don't take it that I was discouraging the discussion, or saying it shouldn't occur here. I was trying to illustrate that no matter our opinions on the subject, whether you believe or not, there is benefit to acting toward the solution.

Igs wrote:That said, I am always of the opinion that sharing information and opinions (i.e. with Dabs, etc.) is always worth the time provided people are respectful of each other. And Dabs always is (at least to me), and I try to return the favor.
And my input here has been as a member of the discussion, not in my role as moderator. The discussion has been perfectly respectful... except possibly when in my first post I implied 'don't believe AngeloComet' Smile But I hope he didn't interpret that as a flame.

Igs wrote:For me, in order to take action, we need to know what we should be doing. And rational people use information. So, I love getting all the info and opinions our little community has to offer -- perhaps, a bit too much -- from time-travel, to buddhism, to astro-physics, to (now) climatology. Smile
But it seems there are a great many of us here well-versed in time-travel, buddhism, astro-physics, and climatology. As long as the facts are available to back the claims, why shouldn't we debate the nature or the universe and solve the world's issues here?
Caged_Faraday
Caged_Faraday

Number of posts : 660
Humor : Bitterly sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Character sheet
Name: Cagey

http://ianscott76.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:22 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised to see such a civil discussion on this topic and am very optimistic of our future as free-thinking individuals based on the comments, but frankly I'm tired of reading and hearing about it. I believe it's called "Green Fatigue". AC might be familiar with that term.

I'm sorry, but whenever the United Nations gets behind something then I am usually on the other side of it, and citing NASA as a source for anything doesn't necessarily lend credence to it in my book. I think the only reason NASA jumped on the band wagon is for the funding that seems to come from mentioning Global Warming... er Climate Change... er (insert tomorrow's buzzword).

Only time will tell (10 years if you believe Al Goreacle) who's right and who's wrong, but I've already pitched my tent in the skeptic's camp along with Michael Crichton and the former founder of the Weather Channel, and until scientists or conjurers invent a crystal ball to see into the future, I'll stay put.

I could ramble on and on about this but I won't because I'm sure many of you are as over it as I am. Suffice it to say I think it is mostly media hype and a means for governments, hypocritical former politicians, and rock stars to exert yet more control over their minions and squeeze yet more money out of the tax payers.

Here are some links that sum up my ideas on the subject...

Thought provoking! Michael Crichton's website (currently down - probably due to eco-terrorism): http://www.crichton-official.com

Chilling! An excerpt form "State of Fear" by Crichton: http://globalwarminghoax.wordpress.com/category/michael-crichton/

A must see! "The Great Global Warming Swindle". Hey, it's the sun!
http://www.garagetv.be/video-galerij/blancostemrecht/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle_Documentary_Film.aspx

I think, therefore I Sham
Shamballa
Shamballa

Number of posts : 621
Humor : Only on Tuesdays
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Mat Deade

http://shamballa108.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:51 pm

Sham,

Great reference sources. Pretty much the keystones of my own cynicism on the subject.

(I loved how that 'swindle' show adequately portryed the sun as a more than viable cause for global warming, and then went on to massacre those green campaigners in reference to the plight of Africans. Eye-opening stuff. It aired in the UK on terrestrial TV, and made the news when (unsurprisingly) global campaigners tried to sue it. The programme was considered guilty in not presenting alternative views, but there was no dispute over the validity of its content.)

Michael Crichton is one of my all-time heroes.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John_Vee Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:02 pm

Well what an active debate but unfortunately a complete waste of time (No offence) but before any of the catasrophes that have been forecast come into play We are going to be hit by a Giant meteor or there will be a chain reaction of volcanic eruptions under Yellowstone park area .There is of course still the possibility of Neuclear war probably started by some small Arab state which could escalate.All of these are more likely to end the World as we know it than Polar meltdown/Global warming/ect.ect.
Peace
John
John_Vee
John_Vee
Others

Number of posts : 105
Humor : Tibius
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Character sheet
Name: John the Impaler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:09 pm

It aired in the UK on terrestrial TV, and made the news when (unsurprisingly) global campaigners tried to sue it.

Yeah, funny how that works isn't it? I'm not familiar with politics there, but here the so called "champions of free speech" are usually the ones who fight the hardest to shut up the voices of dissent.

They use scary terms and phrases like "The debate is over", and the ignorant masses who get their news from late night TV and The Daily Show (which sadly enough is true) believe what they hear.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:18 pm

Shamballa wrote:I'm pleasantly surprised to see such a civil discussion on this topic and am very optimistic of our future as free-thinking individuals based on the comments, but frankly I'm tired of reading and hearing about it. I believe it's called "Green Fatigue". AC might be familiar with that term.

I'm sorry, but whenever the United Nations gets behind something then I am usually on the other side of it, and citing NASA as a source for anything doesn't necessarily lend credence to it in my book. I think the only reason NASA jumped on the band wagon is for the funding that seems to come from mentioning Global Warming... er Climate Change... er (insert tomorrow's buzzword).

Only time will tell (10 years if you believe Al Goreacle) who's right and who's wrong, but I've already pitched my tent in the skeptic's camp along with Michael Crichton and the former founder of the Weather Channel, and until scientists or conjurers invent a crystal ball to see into the future, I'll stay put.

I could ramble on and on about this but I won't because I'm sure many of you are as over it as I am. Suffice it to say I think it is mostly media hype and a means for governments, hypocritical former politicians, and rock stars to exert yet more control over their minions and squeeze yet more money out of the tax payers.

Here are some links that sum up my ideas on the subject...

Thought provoking! Michael Crichton's website (currently down - probably due to eco-terrorism): http://www.crichton-official.com

Chilling! An excerpt form "State of Fear" by Crichton: http://globalwarminghoax.wordpress.com/category/michael-crichton/

A must see! "The Great Global Warming Swindle". Hey, it's the sun!
http://www.garagetv.be/video-galerij/blancostemrecht/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle_Documentary_Film.aspx

I think, therefore I Sham

Thanks Sham, I'm watching the swindle thing now.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie79 Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:41 pm

Sham, excellent sources, as usual!! It was nice to find so many like minded, thinking people on the site. Personally, I'm glad AC brought it up, although I admit to a bit of 'green fatigue' myself. It did give me a chance to voice my opinion.

I agree with you, completely, Sham and enjoyed the documentary! Thanks for sharing.
Annie79
Annie79
Others

Number of posts : 108
Humor : Any kind, at this point!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Muahahahaha! (diabolical laugh)

My evil plan to advance the "vast right-wing conspiracy" is finally coming to fruition!

Wink

Oh and...
Michael Crichton is one of my all-time heroes.
Amen brother, amen.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie79 Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:01 pm

Sham, that was your plan? I thought it was mine! LOL We were working together and didn't know it!! Muahahaha right back at ya!!
Shocked
Annie79
Annie79
Others

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:09 pm

All together now... Muhahahaha!!! elephant

Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate!!!
Damn skippy! Now there is a cause worth fighting for.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie79 Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:14 pm

I thought so!! Don't you remember I used that quote when I had my old WebTV??
Annie79
Annie79
Others

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:13 pm

Shamballa wrote:All together now... Muhahahaha!!! elephant

Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate!!!
Damn skippy! Now there is a cause worth fighting for.
cheers

Arguments on both sides of Global Warming:Global Warming!

Last edited by katesawjack on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 634
Humor : Yes

Character sheet
Name: Miranda Eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie79 Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:27 pm

KSJ, I'm not clear on what you're saying. Could you clarify for me?
Annie79
Annie79
Others

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:41 pm

Yes Annie, be glad to.The second Global Warming is the link that takes you to the site when you click on it! Smile
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie79 Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:51 pm

Aha! Well, that clears that up, I missed that completely! LOL

Thanks for the link!
Annie79
Annie79
Others

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Here is a YouTube link to an interview with Michael Crichton on the Charlie Rose show. The first half is about his novel "Next" and concerns genetics and the second half starting at about 22 minutes in regards Global Warming. By the way... you can click on the loading bar to get to the point in the video where you want to start watching.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by dabiatchishere Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:48 pm

As always, awesome research Shamlink! Smile
dabiatchishere
dabiatchishere
Others

Back to top Go down

Post by Igs Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:41 am

Sham,

Classic Post: "Al Goreacle", "I think, therefore I Sham"

Am watching your video now...but it's late here. So I will have to give a thorough and mind-numbing rebuttal tomorrow Wink. J/K, so far, it's interesting.

The crazy part of all this is I love "State of Fear". In fact, it is what piqued my interest in Global Warming. Oddly though, even with that start, I reached a different conclusion from M. Crichton (at least as it stands now). But more information is coming my way...and my state of fear start always makes me, hopefully, a wee bit skeptical.

That said, I am a huge fan of renewables, but there is a significant geopolitical aspect to this...not the least of which concerns the type of debacles we engage our country in when we have to constantly worry about such a large percentage of our oil being imported.

Oh...and I was kidding about the rebuttal. Wouldn't want to push from Green Fatigue into straight Green Coma.

That said, while all these presentations are interesting...I hate being a slave to the author's point of view (i.e. you only generally see evidence and quotes that support the author's conclusion). Why can't we get some old fashioned discussions put out there -- not cable crap with hacks and soundbits....but a two hour video of established scientists going at it (with maybe someone taking the time to put things in lay terms...kinda like Colbert's word, only real). This would do so much to enlighten me, and I'm sure others, but you never see it.

Igs
Tailie

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:22 am

Igs wrote:
Why can't we get some old fashioned discussions put out there -- not cable crap with hacks and soundbits....but a two hour video of established scientists going at it (with maybe someone taking the time to put things in lay terms...kinda like Colbert's word, only real). This would do so much to enlighten me, and I'm sure others, but you never see it.

I totally agree with this statement. I would love to see a Michael Crichton,discusson
with some top notch scientists, so we could get some actual data presented.
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lateralus Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Michael Crichton huh.... I must say, his take on time travel to the middle ages and super intellegent apes in the congo is quite intruging, but untill i hear what Stephen King has to say about it, i'll keep that tire fire in my back yard burning.
Neutral

And remember the rainforest from the 80's? I heard a year or so ago about areas of the S American rain forest growing back at a faster rate near where all the development is taking place compared to deep inside the jungle. 'They' say it is because of the extra C02 from us humans and cars and the like. But then again, if you dig up a tree out of your yard, the grass grows back in the spot pretty fast and i don't think running a lawn mower is what helped it.
Lateralus
Lateralus
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 526
Humor : "I hate you Milkman Dan"
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: Lateralus Finn

Back to top Go down

Post by dabiatchishere Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:06 pm

Hmmmm, Tires burning in the back yard, Lat? Wasn't that in Foxworthy's video? Very Happy
dabiatchishere
dabiatchishere
Others

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfsignmeup Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:18 pm

this has been a great discussion.My personal opinion is that global industry is affecting our atmosphere. I don't know much about global warming but I do believe that the earth is going through climate changes due to massive industrial emissions.
I did google the topic and what I found was a very popular 'cynical movement'...it was interesting.
wtfsignmeup
wtfsignmeup
Others

Number of posts : 354
Humor : huh?
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Merrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:29 pm

I did google the topic and what I found was a very popular 'cynical movement'...it was interesting.

It makes one wonder if this is what the corporations that run the world had planned all along. Kind of a reverse psychology. Saturate the media to create apathy in the masses thus giving them the "green" light to continue raping the planet.

Yeah, I'm paranoid like that. Wink
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next