Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are YOU doing to "save the earth"?

+12
SomeArztOnYou
StitchExp626
John_Vee
Irocz28
Smokette
Annie79
dabiatchishere
AngeloComet
katesawjack
blonde
SunburnedPenguin
Shamballa
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What are YOU doing to "save the earth"? Empty What are YOU doing to "save the earth"?

Post by Shamballa Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:11 pm

This post was inspired by AC's post. Here's what I do to be a good steward of the Earth...

I live in Indiana where recycling by individuals is not mandated by law but I do my part by not throwing away the things that I can take to my local drop off site (i.e. cardboard, plastics, glass, and metals).

I sell or donate anything I don't need or want anymore rather than allowing it to (immediately at least) take up space in a landfill. I can't control what the next jerk does with it and it's none of my business let alone the governments.

Almost all the light bulbs in my apartment are fluorescent (less electricity = lower electric bill).

I properly dispose of used batteries and electronics (it makes me feel good).

I unplug "vampire" appliances when I know it won't mean resetting the darn thing (less electricity = lower electric bill).

I try to plan out running my errands in an efficient manner to save gasoline (less gas used = more money and more Dairy Queen ice cream).

I pick up garbage when I see garbage on the ground but only if it is within 10 yards of my current location (I conserve personal energy that way).

My conclusions are as follows...

I am doing these things for selfish and glutenous reasons. It makes me feel good, it saves me money, and I get ice cream.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Number of posts : 621
Humor : Only on Tuesdays
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Mat Deade

http://shamballa108.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

What are YOU doing to "save the earth"? Empty Re: What are YOU doing to "save the earth"?

Post by SunburnedPenguin Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:01 pm

Thats as good a reason as any Very Happy

I recycle, never use the central heating unless absolutely necassary, and other bits and pieces...and I use http://uk.freecycle.org (uk only I believe) regularily - its a fab site where you can offer for free any items under the sun that you dont want anymore, and request items to see if anyone else has it and doesnt need it anymore. For example, I got a 3in1 printer from freecycle , and have given away a surround sound system, 4 fiat coupe wheels, and a load of cushions, rugs and cutlery. It keeps unwanted items out of landfill and reduces consumerism! I highly recomend it to anyone in the UK!
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

What are YOU doing to "save the earth"? Empty Re: What are YOU doing to "save the earth"?

Post by Shamballa Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:38 pm

I always get nervous when I hear phrases like "reduces consumerism". Consumerism equals jobs, wealth, and a good economy which makes it possible to have programs like "Free Recycle".

The cleanest countries in the world are the wealthiest countries in the world. They can afford to place restrictions on emissions and pay for sanitation. The worst polluters in the world are the poorer third-world countries (with the exception of a wealthy China).

I think governments need to be careful about how far they take this. If they punish industry too much it drives up the cost on goods and services which isn't good for a consumer based economy.

Case in point: One of the reasons for high food prices is the Biofuels industry. Acres of land once used for food is now used for fuel. Less supply, same demand. It also takes more energy to create fuel from say corn at this point than oil.

I think we need to be smart about how we integrate environmental policies as not to wreck the world economy. The problem is the doom sayers saying this has to be done NOW or were dead. How in the hell do they know that?

They are using man made computer models that are trying to predict a chaotic natural system. the computer processing power and human intelligence to input the exact data needed to predict future weather patterns doesn't exist.

Is global warming a reality? Absolutely, it's been happening since the end of the last ice age.

Should something be done about pollution? You bet, but not at the cost of personal freedoms and economic well fare.

This is by no means a slam on you oh Sunburned One! You have a good common sense approach. It's a slam on ambiguous buzz words.

And finally, this guy scares the hell out of me...

What are YOU doing to "save the earth"? Global-warming-gore-fire
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:21 pm

Sham is my voice in all things political.
blonde
blonde
Others

Number of posts : 437
Humor : +1
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Tallulah-Raye

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:24 pm

blonde, You've got mail ! flower
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 634
Humor : Yes

Character sheet
Name: Miranda Eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:55 pm

Rather than put the central heating on when it gets a little chilly I find playing Mario Kart Wii online and swearing improbable word combinations at the top of my voice warms me up a treat.

Gas is costly these days!
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dabiatchishere Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:16 pm

I am huge on recycling! Everything is recyclable practically. The only thing that goes into the trash, is the actual garbage.

I also do NOT use lights, unless I must. I have candles and nightlights everywhere. It's much more cozy anyway. My heat never goes above 68 degrees in the winter, and in summer my air conditioning is set to 70 degrees with automatic start/shut-off. I have all of the latest gizmos for the taps, shower head, and toilet, etc., and energy efficient appliances.

It's not huge, but is my part for the cause.
dabiatchishere
dabiatchishere
Others

Number of posts : 119
Humor : Outrageous!
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie79 Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:24 pm

I was huge on recycling in my last house. Now, I'm a little less so, because I have to drive everything to a central compactor in the complex and I have a bad back, but I do try.

I do not use lights, though, unless it's a must. I have 3 watt bulbs in candle holders in every room, which use practically no electricity and last for about 5 years if you don't turn them off. I keep my heat at 64 degrees in the winter and my air at 70 in the summer.

I'm lucky enough to have the majority of stores on my errands list within a mile of my house, so I keep my mileage and gas consumption low.

I also run the dishwasher and washing machine/dryer during the day, so the people who work can use the power during their free hours.

We have a permanent every other day water ban on outdoor use in our county and I do honor that, although most of my neighbors don't! lol

I donate all of my usable clothes to charity and other household things I don't need anymore I usually donate to a poor parish in the inner city of Providence.

Another huge thing I've stopped is the TV. I used to have it on all day, just for company. Now that my Mom is with me, unless the news is on, the TV is off.

I know my part isn't huge, either, but I do what I can.
Annie79
Annie79
Others

Number of posts : 108
Humor : Any kind, at this point!!
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:05 am

Life is too short for me to crawl around in the dark with a candle like some 19th century poet. I don't buy into this mess and I see it as propaganda. Don't try convincing me b/c I have made up my mind. Call me selfish, call me non-compassionate, (the far left love this rhetoric) but at least you can always call me via, blackberry, phone,cell, home, email, text, im b/c technology & power go hand in hand and I like it. I refuse to drink the kool-aid that is supposed to convince me that we are at risk of an energy apacolypse. I am a woman of faith & I say..."Let there be light". Without light how could I shop for my new SUV to tote my huge gaggle of kids around Dallas. So my part is that I don't liter....apple stems don't count right. Beside Al Gore ruined it for me. Oh wait....he did invent the internet... cheers
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokette Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:27 am

I belong to a CSA and don't support factory farming.
Smokette
Smokette
Others

Number of posts : 165
Humor : Dry. Very Dry.
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Character sheet
Name: Colleen

Back to top Go down

Post by Irocz28 Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:28 am

I guess I am siding with Blonde in a way on this topic. I don't really go out of my way to "save the planet", but I don't think I really do anything to hurt it either. I don't litter. I do recycle my cans and bottles. But, I am not going to keep my lights off, or ride a bicycle to work, or do anything else to inconvenience myself just to do my part to help the planet.

And for the gas topic, you might not believe this, but I have NEVER looked at gas prices before pulling in somewhere to get gas. I honestly probably couldn't guess within 50 cents of where gas prices are in my area right now. I just don't pay attention to that stuff. If I need gas, I get gas. I'm not gonna drive around looking for the cheapest gas station trying to save two cents per gallon. It actually gets on my nerves when my co-workers talk about gas prices. There is nothing you can do about it. What is the point of complaining?

Sorry for the rant. HaHa. I am quite opinionated on some things.
Irocz28
Irocz28
Others

Number of posts : 226
Humor : Seinfeld, Seinfeld, Seinfeld

Character sheet
Name: Frogurt

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:06 am

Iroc...the gas thing drives me bannanas. We know people who drive out of the way like 10 miles to get cheap gas at Costco. The ultimate paradox. Just fill it up & throw in a fountain diet coke and all is good in blonde-land. You can't have fun in this world when all you do is think about how to save a quarter on gas or put the weight of saving the planet on your shoulders. As my five year old says..."you just have to go with the flow".
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Irocz28 Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:21 am

Agreed Blonde. Well said by you and your five year old.
Irocz28
Irocz28
Others

Number of posts : 226
Humor : Seinfeld, Seinfeld, Seinfeld

Character sheet
Name: Frogurt

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:31 am

Ever the bargain shopper and penny pincher... I have looked for and found a nice little website that will show you the price of gasoline in your area.

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/new/default_V3.asp
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:45 pm

Clarification: When I used the term 'gas' I was referring to the product used to power oven hobs and gas central heating in a house.

In the UK, this is currently a big issue since the cost of it is going through the roof.

'Gas' as in the stuff you put in your car, we call that fuel over here. Petrol or diesel to be specific. And yeah, that comes at a heavy price, too.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:23 pm

AngeloComet wrote:Clarification: When I used the term 'gas' I was referring to the product used to power oven hobs and gas central heating in a house.

In the UK, this is currently a big issue since the cost of it is going through the roof.

'Gas' as in the stuff you put in your car, we call that fuel over here. Petrol or diesel to be specific. And yeah, that comes at a heavy price, too.

We the term "natural gas" to differentiate the two.

I'm curious what the price of petrol is over there AC. Here in the middle of the country gasoline is about $3.80 per gallon and diesel is even higher. You may have to get out your slide rule to come up with the equivalent.

With Russia invading Georgia and targeting pipelines it may turn out to be a long cold winter. A lot of natural gas and oil comes from that area of the world.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:44 pm

We are at about £1.12 a litre at the moment - theres about 3.7 litres to a US gallon, so thats about £4.14 per gallon.....or $7.93!!!!!!!!
So I think its safe to say we are paying about double what you are!
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:07 pm

Cheese-n-rice that is high! I think I'll take Irocz's advice and NOT bitch about prices for awhile.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by John_Vee Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:42 pm

What annoys me about it all is the completely unecesary amount of packaging that goes onto most products these days ..Sometimes it takes me 1/2 hour just to unwrap a sealed pack of bacon (Ham in the USA) ..why is everything prepacked and sometimes in more than 1 layer of bullet proof plastic..All this crud has to be disposed of somewhere .
"When I was young" (don't you just love that statement )..Food was fresh from the local store ,vegetables and fruit from the local greengrocer, Milk from a delivery man who took the empty bottles back to the dairy where they were washed and refilled..Meat from the butcher that was fresh and wrapped in paper ..We also had 2 waste disposal collections 1 was for general land fill waste which was nothing like the amount collected today and the other collection was for food waste that was mainly potato peelings ect, which was also a minimal amount because of the belief Not to waste food..The food waste was taken to Pig farms to feed the animals .Now thats what I call recycling
Peace
John
John_Vee
John_Vee
Others

Number of posts : 105
Humor : Tibius
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Character sheet
Name: John the Impaler

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:47 pm

John, you out to try getting into a barbie package these days...it is near impossible .
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by John_Vee Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:50 pm

I'm curious what the price of petrol is over there AC. Here in the middle of the country gasoline is about $3.80 per gallon and diesel is even higher. You may have to get out your slide rule to come up with the equivalent.

Sorry Jax you are well out ....In the uk a gallon is 5 litres ..In the Usa a gallon is 4 litres...A litre in the uk is £1-25 a litre X 4 =£5-00 which equates roughly to $9-50 for a Gallon whereas in the USA its currently about $2-30 a Gallon US which by the way has doubled in price since I was out there 2 years ago when it was only $1-20 A Gallon US
John_Vee
John_Vee
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by John_Vee Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Blonde why would I try a Barbie Doll lol but I see your point
John_Vee
John_Vee
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:01 pm

I tried to open a barbie yesterday for Lyla and it took like 10 tools to get the bimbo out of there. She was packed in like a freakin sardine. All the mess of plastic around the poor barbie. By the time my husband got to her with a kife she seemed different and then Lyla had to wait like another 15 minutes while we untied the wire around her arms, wrists, waist, ankles, neck, and feet.
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:03 am

blonde wrote:I tried to open a barbie yesterday for Lyla and it took like 10 tools to get the bimbo out of there. She was packed in like a freakin sardine. All the mess of plastic around the poor barbie. By the time my husband got to her with a kife she seemed different and then Lyla had to wait like another 15 minutes while we untied the wire around her arms, wrists, waist, ankles, neck, and feet.

Heh, it sounds like you freed Bimbo Barbie from the clutches of a some sick serial killer.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:21 pm

John_Vee wrote:

Sorry Jax you are well out ....In the uk a gallon is 5 litres ..In the Usa a gallon is 4 litres...A litre in the uk is £1-25 a litre X 4 =£5-00 which equates roughly to $9-50 for a Gallon whereas in the USA its currently about $2-30 a Gallon US which by the way has doubled in price since I was out there 2 years ago when it was only $1-20 A Gallon US

Thats why I converted to US gallons instead of UK, because we were comparing it to US prices, but yes I see where that gives an incorrect answer Embarassed
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next