Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feedback needed - options for new forum!!

+6
dabiatchishere
Caged_Faraday
tracker
Annie79
AngeloComet
SunburnedPenguin
10 posters

Go down

Feedback needed - options for new forum!! Empty Feedback needed - options for new forum!!

Post by SunburnedPenguin Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:58 pm

I am in the last stages of setting up the new forum, and have a few options to play with, but need your feedback/preferences on a few things.

RSS: I have now found an RSS mod for the new forum, and we have 2 choices - an RSS feed purely for new topics on the forum to be displayed in your preffered RSS viewer, or an RSS feed on the forum for news items from OTHER sites, such as ABC, DarkUFO (with permission) etc displayed on the forum - or we could have both I guess. I wouldn't mind having both.

Portal: The portal currently available for Phpbb3 is pretty crap. We can either stick with it as is and wait for updates, or have a left or right hand column on the forum index itself with widgets, posting stats, clocks, scrolling news feed and the RSS etc, doing away with the portal completely. I would prefer to do away with the portal completely and have everything together on one page.

Style: The style I use here is a modified theme of the original, which is being used on the new forum. Now, it seems it is the ONLY Lost theme available, which means every other Lost forum is using it too! Shocked We can either stick with it, or I can design a completey new theme with different topic icons (currently Dharma logo), different background image, but with the same colour scheme and SAOY's banner. Its something I would personally like to do to make our forum even more original.

I look forward to your feedback Smile
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Feedback needed - options for new forum!! Empty Re: Feedback needed - options for new forum!!

Post by AngeloComet Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:13 pm

I think all the things you would like to do should be done. This is your baby.

But, just so you don't feel like a tyrant, I think the things you have outlined as your preferences also sound like the best options, too.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Feedback needed - options for new forum!! Empty Re: Feedback needed - options for new forum!!

Post by Annie79 Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:33 pm

I agree with Angelo. I've just been over there, looking around and it looks great!! But, the changes you propose, I think would enhance the site even more.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but is there any chance of adding more emoticons at the new site?
Wink
Annie79
Annie79
Others

Number of posts : 108
Humor : Any kind, at this point!!
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:36 pm

Yep we can have as many emoticons as we like cheers

I will try and keep them all small though, this size pirat (been dying for an excuse to use that one for ages!) but there are plenty out there!
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie79 Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:09 pm

LOL I'm glad you got a chance to use it!! I like the little ones better, anyway. The big ones really take over the whole comment! Thanks! sunny (I've been dying to use that one! LOL)
Annie79
Annie79
Others

Number of posts : 108
Humor : Any kind, at this point!!

Back to top Go down

Post by tracker Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:34 pm

SP, Since I don't know the meaning of RSS views and feeds, widgets, PHbbfbrj3 and mods, I trust you judgement completely. (PLease don't explain them. As long as YOU know what they are is fine with me.)

I'll figure out how the site works anyway you set it up. Very Happy
tracker
tracker
Others

Number of posts : 237
Humor : Hell hath no fury like a woman's corns.......Archie Bunker
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caged_Faraday Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:47 pm

I love RSS. GMail has a constant running feed (customized) and I love that as an update system. I even have my own blog burned into a feed. So... I guess I'm saying, if you made an RSS feed for the new LOSTIES site, I know I'd take advantage of it.

As for style, do what you think is best. Since you own the code, you can change it. If that means we have another contest for background image next month, we can do that.

Just my 2 cents (now worth less than one UK penny).
Caged_Faraday
Caged_Faraday

Number of posts : 660
Humor : Bitterly sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Character sheet
Name: Cagey

http://ianscott76.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dabiatchishere Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:04 pm

Hi Sunny P, I think all of your ideas are wonderful! I especially like the RSS feed for "NEW TOPICS", and agree with the new layout. Smile

I think AC said it best! This is your baby, and so far you've done a beautiful job with the new site! cheers
dabiatchishere
dabiatchishere
Others

Number of posts : 119
Humor : Outrageous!

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Just do your thing, girl. You are amazing at what you do & we are lucky to be a part of it. Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by blonde on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
blonde
blonde
Others

Number of posts : 437
Humor : +1
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Tallulah-Raye

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:17 pm

I think that a portal is essential, I use that way more than the home page.

Let us have a unique and original Lost design.

And as AC said more emoticons ... and a blush/embarrassed one would be good

Stitch
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Number of posts : 794

Character sheet
Name: Steve

http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:27 pm

Aw thanks guys I love you

All comments taken on board......but I have to say its you lot who make this forum what it is, and the more I can do to provide the facilities the happier I am Very Happy
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:02 am

It's all good with me...but I'm a follower.
I know that because AC told me to say so.
And so did Caged
and Blonde
and WTF
and Stitch
and Dab
and Tracker
and...
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 681
Humor : check out TheFlatSpin.com and you'll be sorry you asked that.

http://www.theflatspin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:45 pm

Today is an overcast day, Hurricane Gustav is tracking off the west coast of Florida on it's way to New Orleans or vicinity. Hanna is not far behind!
On days like today, when I have the time, I enjoy cooking. Homey type "comfort" foods especially.
While mixing in a Knorr "Parma Rosa" mix into some Barilla brand Celletani past (along with a can of diced tomatoes) I thought "What about a HomeEc course ala LOST? I mean they must have had to come up with some interesting recipes with all the food that Dharma dropped off.
This is meant more of a joke than a real category but maybe there are other cooks out there.
Instead of Taligate parties I'd be happy to contribute some recipes to the LOST Cuisine munchables. Smile
Sawyer might like pork rinds (thanks to the boar on the island)
Jack? Penne ala Vodka
Hurley? Noshable Dharma chips with seafood dip. (change of pace from his peanut butter)
Claire? How about:

vanishing oatmeal raisin cookiesFeedback needed - options for new forum!! LOGO-oatmeal
Feedback needed - options for new forum!! ReturnLine

ingredients Feedback needed - options for new forum!! PurpleDot

1/2pound (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
1cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2cup granulated sugar
2eggs
1teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2cups all-purpose flour
1teaspoon baking soda
1teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2teaspoon salt (optional)
3cups Quaker®️ Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1cup raisins

preparation Feedback needed - options for new forum!! PurpleDot

1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins; mix well.
2. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

Servings: ABOUT 4 DOZEN
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down