Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sarah Palin

+8
tracker
CosmicJewels
Shamballa
katesawjack
MyStarbuckHatesLost
JWLost
John_Vee
blonde
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Sarah Palin Empty Sarah Palin

Post by blonde Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:07 am

I am so freaking excited...just wanted to check in and say WOW!!! Way to throw the dice, Mr. Mc. I am fired up and ready to play country! What a great day...sitting with the girls watching SP speak. Finally...I am liberated! I could run a marathon with pride! Sad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin
blonde
blonde
Others

Number of posts : 437
Humor : +1
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Tallulah-Raye

Back to top Go down

Sarah Palin Empty Re: Sarah Palin

Post by John_Vee Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:43 am

Youv'e been watching SP (sunburnt penguin) talk ..God i bet that was painful Razz
John_Vee
John_Vee
Others

Number of posts : 105
Humor : Tibius
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Character sheet
Name: John the Impaler

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:54 am

Wink
John_Vee wrote:Youv'e been watching SP (sunburnt penguin) talk ..God i bet that was painful Razz
Almost as good !!!
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:26 am

hug your daughters.....
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:35 am

What about your sons? This girl on girl loving the country is doing is going to end up making girls more important than boys... then you will just end up having a reverse problem....
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Number of posts : 388
Humor : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Character sheet
Name: Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:28 am

JWLost wrote:What about your sons? This girl on girl loving the country is doing is going to end up making girls more important than boys... then you will just end up having a reverse problem....

With nothing but love JW, Assuming your sentence made any sense to me....88 years ago women were given the AWESOME ability to vote in our great country. Today the Republican party announced its first ever female VP nominee. She is a combination of your mother, your teacher, your coach, your sister, your Mayor, and she practices what she preaches. My son has been hugged a million times and he is 5, but us able to understand that today matters. It HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FEMINISM, it is about history. PEACE & LOVE flower
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:45 am

Blonde,
Let's talk about history.
Weren't you "liberated" when a woman was an inch away from being a Presidental candidate?

Quite frankly, if a woman was going to be in the position to possibly be the President, I'd say that Palin is the wrong woman of the two available this year! WAY WRONG!

Now, speaking as someone who has actually run campaigns and worked in American politics for a looooong time, here is my opinion:
This was a very poor choice on Mc's part. There were a dozen different candidates he could have chosen that were better (women or men.) It was just an attempt to steal the headlines for a day or two and try to woo Clinton supporters...trust me, it won't work. This will eventually be looked upon like G. Bush senior's choice of the lightweight Quail as VP in 88. An almost insulting attempt to lure female voters (in that case because he was good looking.)
The good news for Mc is that we choose the President, not the VP. While it is not a good choice by any stretch of the imagination it does not help him in a very tight race. That, in and of itself, actually hurts him. If he did pick somebody who was more respected and experienced (like Obama, Bush, Reagan, Bill Clinton, and Kennedy did) he would have been better off.
Now his argument about Obama not having enough experience holds no cridibility since he has chosen someone with even less experience, especially in foreign affairs.

In politics, if you don't do something to help yourself in a close race, you hurt yourself, there is no middle ground.

And if you're saying that you'd be comfortable with her being the commander in Chief then I 'd have to respectfully say that partisanship may have blinded you a tad.

Nice woman?...sure. She probably is a very nice woman. My mom is a nice woman too but I wouldn't want her to be President either.

I love politics
Very Happy
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 681
Humor : check out TheFlatSpin.com and you'll be sorry you asked that.
Registration date : 2008-05-14

http://www.theflatspin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:37 am

Blonde, I was totally kidding... in a way, but more or less, kidding.

Andddd I have to agree with you MSHL.... McCain did shoot himself in the foot with this choice. I used to be registered Republican, but then I came to realize that what our country needs is to dismiss the "party culture" so I went Independent. I have no ties to either party... had to get that out there.

I was on the fence this entire time between Clinton, Obama and McCain then I finally chose Clinton, reluctantly. Now, as of yesterday, I chose Obama. I guess I got suckered into the whole "change" movement because, quite frankly, we need change and I don't see McCain doing anything to further along the country. My biggest concern is our economy and McCain has basically come out and said he has no real background in economics and that scares me (Too bad Sayid is out to kill the Economist... we could use him).

Obama chose correctly with his VP by picking Biden because Biden is a stickler when it comes to foreign affairs. McCain chose, like MSHL said, a less experienced candidate than Obama is.... McCain went for the woman vote and he will succeed to a point, but I think that a majority of women will see right through his game.

Let's face the facts here. Both of these guys need to pick a strong VP in this race. Due to Obama being our first African American candidate, you better believe there are going to be assassination attempts due to the radical racists out there and McCain is what... 72 years old now? He could kick it at any time. This race demands a strong VP candidate and all-in-all, Obama chose the better of the two.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:44 am

One thing is certain,whomever wins the election in November, it will be a historic landmark for the presidency of the United States of America. I know, that I would prefer Joe Biden as the person a heartbeat away from becoming president.
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 634
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Miranda Eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:50 am

Amen, Kate...

Also, I hate that I have my comment about McCain being 72 and kicking it... 72 really isn't that old by today's standards and he is probably healthier than I am, but let's look at this in reality here: The VP is important no matter what and Obama obviously picked the better one of the two.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:52 am

Agree with much of that JW.

McCain's choice of a woman to attract female voters will only wind up attracting Republican women and a few independant female voters.

And for anyone who is worried that all the Democrats who supported Clinton won't vote for Obama...It doesn't work that way. They will support him and vote for him becasue the alternative is not acceptable to them. That is how it always works in politics. Equally so, the extreme anti-choice Republicans will still vote for McCain even though he is too moderate because the alternative is not acceptable to them either.

KSW, I like Biden too. He is a pragmatic, experienced and intelligent man and would be fine as VP or President. That is how you choose a VP. He may not have been MY first choice but he is still a very good one.
And you're so right, this is an historic time. More so than most people realize. Those of us who were first hand witnesses (and dare I say old enough) to the civil rights and women's rights struggles of the 60's and 70's can look at this election with a bit of satisfaction.
Two women and an African American man in the mix this election cycle. That is so freakin cool!
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:09 am

Mshl, I am curious . Who would you have thought to be a better VP pick by Obama? Perhaps Hillary? More importantly though ,not that I am superstitious or anything, but I sure hope you get off that number. Speaking of numbers,this my 490th post. Do you realize that not only will I be on Jacobs list very soon....but I will be the first lady to be there! Cool
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:14 am

Holy wow! 2008 is the year of women kicking it into high gear! We have Hillary, Sarah, Nancy P. as the Speaker of the House and now we have a woman, right here in our own home, going to make it onto Jacob's List!!!! Congrats Kate!

BTW, I don't want to knock Sarah Palin just yet because I really don't know much about her. I am interested to find out more come the RNC this week (it is this week coming isn't it?). What I have read though, she isn't anything special by any means.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:22 am

Thanks JW, I want you to know, I was very pleased that you went with plan A on 5.8!
It really worked...just the way I thought it would. Razz
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:07 am

Jacob's list....almost there KSJ!
You get a nice fruit basket in the mail when you make it to 500.
Okay, that's a lie.

EEEEEEK! 666 posts! The number of the Beast. Well this is #667 the number of the Beast's neighbor Fred. Nice man, retired from the constructions industry and moved in next to the Beast in 1997.

But back to reality.
Hillary would have been a good choice I think. She certainly earned it but that's not how American politics ususally work. The last man to choose the second place primary vote getter was Reagan.

And I've been researching Palin...by the way (I love this one) Her wikipedia profile was locked by the editors of the site because last night before she was announced, someone set up an account there and spent several hours rewriting her profile. They cut out all negative refs and painted a pretty picture of her.
Wikipedia put the original back up and locked it as they do for all political figures to avoid exactly what someone tried to do last night.
Whoever tried to rewrite that article also deleted all refs to the current ethics investigation of her that started after she fired Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan who refued to fire her ex-brother in-law, a state trooper. Looks like she has the abuse of power thing down already.

Here is a link to an an Alaskan political site with an article about McCain picking her that has a lot of Local insights about her. She is not a monster or a squeeky-clean saint...but VP?!?!?! you gotta be kidding me!

http://mudflats.wordpress.com/2008/08/29/what-is-mccain-thinking-one-alaskans-perspective/
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:27 pm

MSHL said...
Quite frankly, if a woman was going to be in the position to possibly be the President, I'd say that Palin is the wrong woman of the two available this year! WAY WRONG!
If your argument is that Palin doesn't have enough experience to be VP then you are on shaky ground my friend. Is it better to have a President or VP who is still wet behind the ears? Think about it.

At least Palin has some experience actually governing as opposed to the Obamamessiah. Many of the Presidents we have elected in recent history have been governors for precisely that reason. The last senator elected was Nixon. Now we have two running for office.

I'm surprised the Main Stream Media and democrats (same difference) are using the inexperience argument. I think she's an excellent choice and is the true embodiment of "change" as opposed to Joe Biden who epitomizes business as usual - horrible pick for Obama, horrible.

I think the choices of each candidate balances both sides out now with the slight edge going to the GOP...

Democrats = Inexperienced candidate for President and life long politician for VP.
Republicans = Experienced candidate for President and inexperienced choice for VP.

I'll choose experienced President thank you. What does the VP do anyway?

But I won't sweat it Obama manages to get elected because hey, I know he can always call George Clooney or Oprah Winfrey at 3:00 AM in the morning if he needs advice right?
Shamballa
Shamballa

Number of posts : 621
Humor : Only on Tuesdays

Character sheet
Name: Mat Deade

http://shamballa108.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:47 pm

MyStarbuckHatesLost wrote:Blonde,
Weren't you "liberated" when a woman was an inch away from being a Presidental candidate?

Very Happy
No, I wasn't. I was embaressed actually. Apparently the majority of America agrees with me. Apparenty your boy, Barry, agrees with me. Apparently, top Democratic advisors agree with me. Listen, I could go all day on this with guys. Here is what it comes down to. I am the only female Republican on this site and I am not going to spend the next 2 months trying to defend myself, much less convert a group of far-left, independent (sure), and those of you who just like to argue.

I could wear your asses out on this....and it wouldn't make a bit of difference, so I may go on radio silence until November. For the record, I am proud of Sarah Palin because of what she accomplished and how far she has come ON HER OWN. She wasn't groomed to be in Politics or Washington, she took it on herself because it mattered to her. She does what she says she is going to do...do your research on her. Sure, I am a pro-life, troop-suppporting, death-penalty cheering, small-tax loving, minorly energy-conscious soccer mom who is against same-sex marriarge, but love same-sex couples. You could certainly argue that Mcain was hitting the ball to "my demographic" so we will hit it out of the park for him.

I will not debate that yesterday was an important day for me & my daughters. A wonderful woman was nominated to be the VP of the USA. She is a "heartbeat away from being the President of our AWESOME country." If your best arguement is that she is "inexperienced", I would have to remind you that if the Democratic nominee for PRESIDENT gets elected an inexperienced candidate would be less than a "heart beat away". There he would be.

Last edited by blonde on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:48 pm

Sham, I think we out to run away together.
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:20 pm

blonde wrote:Sham, I think we out to run away together.

LOL! I have a better idea Blonde. Let's stay here and support each other. In other words, please don't go! I had a feeling this post was going to get a little heated and it's because a lot of people missed the point of it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we can all agree that both parties should be excited and proud of our country. As KSJ pointed out, this is an election cycle of firsts and we should all be grateful that we live in a country where this is possible.

Everyone has a right to their opinions even if they are wrong tongue and we can all, I hope, discuss and debate these issues as adults. The alternative is to make discussing politics verboten (prohibited by dictate) but it would suck to go that route wouldn't it?

You may have all noticed that there is no section for politics on this site. This was deliberate and done for precisely this reason. I suppose that this was as inevitable as things of an adult nature being posted. My money is on religion or race to be the next hot button issue.

The point is that these issues are part of life, they will come up in discussions, and we are all human and have our opinions, but that doesn't mean we can't all play nice right?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Addendum:

OK, after rereading all the comments I see that this has actually been a very good natured discussion so you have all been "playing nice" and I stand pleasantly corrected! (guess it pays to read)

But let me get this straight Blonde, you are actually upset because you are being handled with kid gloves and no one is really hammering you over it!? You are itching for a fight? LMAO! I'll never understand women! Very Happy
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:47 pm

blonde wrote:
MyStarbuckHatesLost wrote:Blonde,

Very Happy
I am the only female Republican on this site

I am also a McCain supporter Blonde. I came here to discuss LOST. I was brought up that one does not discuss Religion or Politics in conversation. It invariably will lead to discord.

Enough said on my part. Anyone wanting to talk about LOST please do.
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by tracker Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:00 pm

I've read this twice to see if I missed something. Blonde, who pissed you off on this site? It looked like an intelligent sharing of ideas. Now it's kind of uncomfortable.

Cosmic, I'm with you.
tracker
tracker
Others

Number of posts : 237
Humor : Hell hath no fury like a woman's corns.......Archie Bunker

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:18 pm

CJ:
Last time I checked this was Jax site and she encourages us to discuss all sorts of topics including Politics. No one is holding a gun to your head. If you don't want to discuss politics then I suggest not opening a topic titled "Sarah Palin". Let alone reading & commenting. There are plenty of LOST-related topics to choose from.....go there.
Tracker:
I am not uncomfortable. I don't think any of us are. If it is uncomfortable for you, remove yourself from the discussion. I respect you 100 percent and if you don't like the discussion I don't blame you from walking away. That is what I do when I am "uncomfortable"
Sham, MSHL, CF, KSJ, JW, Vinnie, MollyC, AC, SAOY, SP, Stich, and many others enjoy this discussion and can have it without hard feelings and have many times before and I love them all to death.
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:46 pm

CJ wrote:
I am also a McCain supporter Blonde. I came here to discuss LOST. I was brought up that one does not discuss Religion or Politics in conversation. It invariably will lead to discord.
True, this is mainly a site devoted to LOST but there are many other sections here that don't pertain to the show. Anyone is welcome to use or not use those sections.

Tracker wrote:
I've read this twice to see if I missed something. Blonde, who pissed you off on this site? It looked like an intelligent sharing of ideas. Now it's kind of uncomfortable.
I think you may have misinterpreted Blonde as I did the first go round. I believe she is looking for a political debate and miffed because she didn't get one so she isn't mad at an individual rather a situation (correct me if I am wrong Blonde).

Again, I'll refer to my prior post... This is precisely why there are no sections devoted to religion and politics. It's easy enough to misread a person's true intent when they post something mundane and even easier when it involves touchy subject matter because emotions come into play.

Remember, no one is required to comment on a topic. If it makes you uncomfortable or you can't post a reply without anger or name calling then avoid it altogether.

Maybe there could be a section created called the "mosh pit" where people can just duke it out over any topic they want with the caveat that if they decide to jump in, then they can't come crying to the owner or moderators when things get rough. Wink
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lateralus Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:51 pm

Now I only heard this on Bill Maher the other night, but has anyone else heard that McCain never even met her in person before he picked her as VP? It’s said he spoke to her once two years ago over the phone while she was at an Alaskan state fair or some junk.
And before she was governor of Alaska, she was Mayor of a town of 7000 people. And I’m sorry, but what else is there to do in Alaska but distribute the checks from the oil companies and keep moose off the street at "rush hour" when Fred and Bill have to drive down the road at the same time?

It’s great that a woman is being nominated as VP. I think Hillary getting so close was great. I have a 3 year old daughter, so yes I do give a *%&@. But I can't take it seriously. It’s all pander. The only thing that would have made her choice for Repub.VP more commercially perfect was if she was also a minister, so she could reel in the Jesus freaks along with the gun lovers.
Craig Ferguson said it best the other night on Real Time; “…I really hope American women aren’t dumb enough to vote for her just because she has boobs too.”

Lateralus
Lateralus
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 526
Humor : "I hate you Milkman Dan"
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: Lateralus Finn

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:28 pm

Lateralus wrote:“…I really hope American women aren’t dumb enough to vote for her just because she has boobs too.”

What an innapropriate, insulting, and ignorant statement.No
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content