Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snapshot of modern life - a challenge to Losties!

+6
JWLost
StitchExp626
TheHolyStickman
katesawjack
CosmicJewels
SunburnedPenguin
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Snapshot of modern life - a challenge to Losties! Empty Snapshot of modern life - a challenge to Losties!

Post by SunburnedPenguin Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:33 pm

Heres a fun little challenge I thought of, that might get some good discussions going!

The challenge is to post 3 TV adverts that are currently running in your part of the world, with a description on what you think it says about modern life - whether that description be ironic, sarcastic, moving, factual or humorous. The product does not need to be relevant, just what the advert in its entirety says about modern life.

No prize, no reward, just an interesting challenge.

I'll post some tomorrow as cant do it from work Very Happy
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Snapshot of modern life - a challenge to Losties! Empty Re: Snapshot of modern life - a challenge to Losties!

Post by CosmicJewels Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:40 pm

Snapshot of modern life - a challenge to Losties! Shutters-1-600-soft
Hurricane Shutters: Factual
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Snapshot of modern life - a challenge to Losties! Empty Re: Snapshot of modern life - a challenge to Losties!

Post by katesawjack Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:10 pm

I don't understand this one. I think it is plain silly to have all those voices coming from Matt Damon. Maybe that is supposed to get your attention more... confused

And this one...

This one by Jeep cause it has a Polar Bear... Smile

Last edited by katesawjack on Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 634
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Miranda Eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:18 pm

This advert, shown in Britain, show to me that there is a very real possibility of human-animal mating.

I don't know who made this advert or what it has to do with Orange juice. But it's not only ridiculous but disgusting. Dressing animals up as sex symbols. pale What are they trying to put in our brains.

By the way KSJ, I've never seen that advert before, but I think its a good one that gets it's point across in a strange way but I like it.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:32 pm

CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:35 pm

TheHolyStickman wrote:By the way KSJ, I've never seen that advert before, but I think its a good one that gets it's point across in a strange way but I like it.

HSM, It is currently showing in the US,(or at least in my part of the country,) I suppose because it wants to encourage people to vote, in this Novembers Election.
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:01 pm

An ad that is played 100's of times since the Olympics!
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Steve

http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:04 pm

These Mac vs. PC ads... No

This one is definitely not going to get any buyers on this site... lol!
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:07 pm

An ad for Australia that offended the Brits, they banned it!
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:08 pm

Australians need to eat more lamb
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:18 pm

StitchExp626 wrote:

Australians need to eat more lamb

That one was just great Stitch! Loved the line "Lamb Barby". The one with the olympics and the kangaroo designed out on the beach was a good one too.
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:29 pm

Since the Olympics we have really bombarded by so many commercials that are aimed at creating a sense of identity as Australians. Some of these are ok, but they get vety old very quickly.

It is like we are all being brain washed to come up with a sense of identity. I am not sure that this is a particularly Australian phenomenom or whether it happens all round the world.
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Stitch, Now if those were shown here in the USA, I wouldn't mind commercials as much. Here is one that is from 1970. Ah for the good old days.
Now that was a great commercial.Very Happy
I think Jax has opened up a hot topic here!

katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:32 pm

Does anyone else really want to go to Australia now?
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:42 pm

Thanks CJ, at the moment we have areally big advertising campaign going on. Television, billboards, the works, but the material is not suitable for this site. The advertising campaign is called "The drama downunder", and it is all about various sexual diseases and the ads are not subtle!

So we are being told to be more patriotic and at the same time we are also being somewhat grahically informed of STD's!

That's Australia 4 u!
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:43 pm

HSM, you are always welcome at my place, I will put a non-alcoholic beer in the fridge for you!
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:46 pm

StitchExp626 wrote:HSM, you are always welcome at my place, I will put a non-alcoholic beer in the fridge for you!

By the time I raise the money to go to Australia I won't need non-alcoholic beer. Very Happy
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:52 pm

HI Kate

Pretty impressive graphics with the wagon. And way before Toy Story. Although the actual food for the dog did not look to appetising.
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:54 pm

The legal age for drinking alcohol is 18 in Australia, but you have to show ID if you look under 25! Go figure.
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:34 pm

Stitch: Why did that one ad offend the Brits?! I don't get it. Is it because they said "bloody?"

Stickman: I LOVE the animal and orange juice one... I don't really get it, but I think it was freakin hillarious and yeah... overly sexual.

How long is the average commercial in Britain? That was like... 1:45 or something. Here, in the US, the average comm is only 30 seconds.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Number of posts : 388
Humor : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Character sheet
Name: Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:26 pm

[quote="That's Australia 4 u![/quote]

I'd love to go there one day. Looks like a fabulous country and we already know the people are nice. Smile
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokette Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:17 am

Actually, I don't watch actual television, so I have nothing to contribute. Actually, one of the main reasons I DON'T watch television is because of advertising!
Smokette
Smokette
Others

Number of posts : 165
Humor : Dry. Very Dry.
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Character sheet
Name: Colleen

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:06 am

JWLost wrote:Stitch: Why did that one ad offend the Brits?! I don't get it. Is it because they said "bloody?"

Stickman: I LOVE the animal and orange juice one... I don't really get it, but I think it was freakin hillarious and yeah... overly sexual.

How long is the average commercial in Britain? That was like... 1:45 or something. Here, in the US, the average comm is only 30 seconds.

Thats an extened version, they cut it down for TV, they're only 30-45 seconds usually. But this is an orange drink... for kids. Kids! This is who the advert is trying reach, little kids with pictures of animals in bikini's. Thats just messed up!
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:29 am

Oh, yeah, I guess that is pretty messed up then. I wouldn't want my kid (being roughly your age I guess) getting all hot and bothered over computer animated animals with giant boobs....

Thank God I don't have kids.... at least none that could as old as you are... unless I got someone pregnant at the age of 12.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Number of posts : 388
Humor : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Character sheet
Name: Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:21 am

JWLost wrote:Stitch: Why did that one ad offend the Brits?! I don't get it. Is it because they said "bloody?"

The British did not like the tagline "Where the bloody hell asre you?"

you can read about it here at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_where_the_bloody_hell_are_you%3F
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next