Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloaking Device Concept Moves Beyond Theory

+2
CosmicJewels
Shamballa
6 posters

Go down

Cloaking Device Concept Moves Beyond Theory Empty Cloaking Device Concept Moves Beyond Theory

Post by Shamballa Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:42 am

Shamballa
Shamballa

Number of posts : 621
Humor : Only on Tuesdays
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Mat Deade

http://shamballa108.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Cloaking Device Concept Moves Beyond Theory Empty Re: Cloaking Device Concept Moves Beyond Theory

Post by CosmicJewels Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:44 am

Shamballa wrote:Interesting stuff! Additional video links near bottom of article.

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080607/sc_livescience/cloakingdeviceconceptmovesbeyondtheory
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080607/sc_livescience/cloakingdeviceconceptmovesbeyondtheory[/quote[/url]]

Thanks Shamballa. Reading this article made me think of how Daniel remarked about the light being different on the Island.
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Cloaking Device Concept Moves Beyond Theory Empty Re: Cloaking Device Concept Moves Beyond Theory

Post by Shamballa Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:49 am

Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:04 am

Shamballa wrote:Thanks CJ. Check this out on "freezing" light.
[url=http://www.livescience.com/php/video/player.php?video_id=itm1005_freezinglight
http://www.livescience.com/php/video/player.php?video_id=itm1005_freezinglight[/quote[/url]]

That was excellent. Has anyone thought about a biosphere or movable (spaceship type) bisophere? That just popped in my head when thinking about how light travels/bends. LOST has done this to me!
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Cloaking Device Concept Moves Beyond Theory Empty Michio Kaku

Post by Achara Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:19 am

Cool, Sham! This is very interesting! I find physics so fascinating. I'm especially intrigued with Quantum Mechanics and Electromagnetism.

Have you heard of Michio Kaku? (I'm sure you have. He's a leading pioneer in superstring theory and a professor in Theoretical Physics.) Well, anyway, I just learned of him recently. And I can't stop reading about his theories and ideas! Alot of which I believe are LOST related, of course.

Anyway, here's something I found regarding invisibility cloaks and force fields.

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=93-9780385525442-0

-"Michio Kaku explains how the science of optics and electromagnetism may one day enable us to bend light around an object, like a stream flowing around a boulder, making the object invisible to observers downstream."

That just made me think of Daniel Faraday's comment about the sun light being odd or different!
Achara
Achara
Tailie

Number of posts : 18
Humor : well... I think AC is hilarious! (and I am too, btw!)
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by solarchap Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:47 am

fantastic shambs!

I wonder if it ties in to the whispers somehow?

Achara, Michio Rocks! hyperspace and parallel worlds are my 2 fave books of his.

If you goto the 'Links' section, I posted under 'Popular Mechanics' there is a link to LOST anaylsis, some by Michio Kaku!

Last edited by solarchap on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling (again!))
solarchap
solarchap
Others

Number of posts : 263
Humor : Lots
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: Dirk Diggler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:34 am

Achara wrote:Have you heard of Michio Kaku? (I'm sure you have. He's a leading pioneer in superstring theory and a professor in Theoretical Physics.) Well, anyway, I just learned of him recently. And I can't stop reading about his theories and ideas! Alot of which I believe are LOST related, of course.

Yes, I like enjoy listening to him. He makes the subject at hand easier for the layman to understand. He's in practically every program dealing with space and physic these days.

I have another link that all of you may find interesting. It's a documentary called "Thunderbolts of the Gods" and deals with the make up of the universe and how it operates. It's about an hour or so. I'd be curious to know what you all think.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4773590301316220374
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by solarchap Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:26 am

Shambs! (I call you Shambs now as there is another shams on here!), I have only seen 9mins 34 seconds and I have already had to come back here to tell you I am loving it so far, it's the first time I have seen an apple depicted falling through space (Interstellar space) rather than from a tree, and now he just said " The wheel of Heaven....the revolving cosmic temple...." man thats awesome! I getting back to the rest of it tout de suite!
solarchap
solarchap
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Cloaking Device Concept Moves Beyond Theory Empty Michio

Post by Achara Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:13 am

Aw... Yay!! You guys like Michio.

I can't wait to take a look at the links you provided.

And Solar, I haven't read any of his books yet, but I want to. I just don't know where to begin... They ALL look good! Hyperspace really caught my eye though, so maybe I'll start with that one...

Its so nice to know other people that are into this stuff!!
Achara
Achara
Tailie

Number of posts : 18
Humor : well... I think AC is hilarious! (and I am too, btw!)
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Cloaking Device Concept Moves Beyond Theory Empty i forgot somefing

Post by solarchap Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:46 am

Achara, don't forget to check out his series 'Visions' (from his book of the same name) where he postulates about the future, it's really good! as for a first book, I would pick 'Parallel Worlds', it's a much lighter read, and gets you all fired up for Hyperspace!
You might also want to check out 'The Universe Next door' Or 'the never ending days of being dead' by Marcus Chown, science editor for The New Scientist (our version of Scientific American), as they both write on similar themes, and both do it very well and it's always a pleasure to read.

Ok Shambs, well I just finished watching that video, and perhaps we are on the verge of a new paradigm with this electrical theory. One thing I am glad it mentioned is the sunspots.
Every time I look at one of those (i.e. solar checkin' out the solar!), my mind is drawn, by inference to the standard model, to see it as a pseudo-black hole, a region the cosmologists would tell us is subject to massive gravitational distortion.

But as they say, it's the sun , that hole or sun-spot is the coldest region, and the only explanation we have is gravitational distortion?!?!

So I'd like for this new plasma science to answer questions like that, and it was also very interesting to learn that the dust of the comet, ejected by the spaceship-induded-surface-impact, was very fine, and not as would be expected by the standard model.

Lost-wise they mentioned the 'Cygnus Loop' (Cygnus is latin for 'Swan') when they were talking about black holes, perhaps that was what Dharma meddled with; all that concrete as well, a bit like Chernobyl as Sayid said, maybe to block the Hawking radiation from a black hole that was evaporating? Then again, perhaps not! LOL!

They also mentioned the 'Bekenstein bound', and that refers to the famous Israeli physicist JACOB Bekenstein (I know I know! they were extremely tenuos Lost links!), the first person to generalise the laws of electromagnetism to handle inconstant physical constants.

I loved the connections they made between the plasma states of comets and nebulae and the artistic representations throughout human history. Made me also think of the scene in Raiders, where they opened the Ark and all those spirits had that plasma-ey look and hair thing going on!

I'm also pleased coz next to that video was a video of Richard Dawkins and he's my favourite writer, so cheers, a great post!
solarchap
solarchap
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:59 am

Thanks solarchap. I'm glad you liked it. The eletric model does offer some plausible explanations. I thought the conclusions drawn about the sun were particulary convincing.

Oh, and "Shambs" is fine. Cool
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by solarchap Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:07 am

I forgot to say. Nice avatar!

Just watched the Richard Dawkins video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6308228560462155344&q=&hl=en

it was good and funny too. Sadly only 22 mins though! Grrrrrrr!
solarchap
solarchap
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:54 am

Thanks solar. That was good. I'll have to check out some more Dawkins.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:34 pm

Michio does indeed rock Smile

I haven't read any of his books yet, but we saw the "Visions" series and that guy really has a way of making theory seem so believable, and he explains things in a way I can understand lol.

I have to check out that Thunderbolts docu, sounds very interesting!
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by solarchap Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:16 pm

I wish Michio Kaku had been my Dad! (even the best solars have daddy issues!), and if he had of been my Dad, I would probably have been an astronaut by now instead of the handsome but drunken fool that I am.

also cagey in debate club said :
:If this is an Island full of insane magnetic
properties, why can't "smokey" be some variety of magnetic field
himself... made visibly by the fine metallic dust trapped in the field.
and I was thinking about the electricity theory from that video, magnetism/electricity. fine dust (comet) but I couldn't get anywhere! LOL! maybe it wil spur your mind into action!
solarchap
solarchap
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SamiLost Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:03 pm

Shambala thanx for the video link1 I'm half way through it and it's really really good! Every time I look at these videos i think to myself that I should had done physics at uni instead of computer science! Sad

I will check all the other links on this post too! Thank uuuuuuuuu!
SamiLost
SamiLost
Lostie

Number of posts : 60

Character sheet
Name: SamiLuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down