Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theories. A Question.

+3
tracker
CosmicJewels
SmokinMonster
7 posters

Go down

Theories. A Question. Empty Theories. A Question.

Post by SmokinMonster Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:10 am

I spend absolutely ages reading many different theories on various websites. Some are fantastic reads and some are just mental!

Now, there have been some amazing storylines and twists in the first 4 seasons of Lost and what I have been wondering is this.

Has anyone heard of any theories that have been proved right. I know there may be some trivial ones but has there ever been a biggie that predicted a major event in the show?

Purely for example, something like a theory thought of during the First season that said there would be a mad Scotsman living in the hatch!
SmokinMonster
SmokinMonster
Lostie

Number of posts : 61
Humor : Lavatorial
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Theories. A Question. Empty Re: Theories. A Question.

Post by CosmicJewels Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:47 am

I am spending an inordinate amount of time browsing and reading various websites trying to glean whatever tidbits of information are out there about LOST. So far I've found reading "debunked" theories is a good way to weed out the ones that are just chitter chat (don't get me wrong..........I love the banter and chat too) and the ones that have a lot of logical reasoning to them. As far as reading any that were "right on" or super duper I haven't read many. There is lots of speculation, humor/humour and the like though, which in itself, is entertaining while/whilst the long time between now and the next season begins.

For some debunked:
http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Debunked_theories

On a more serious note. We live in the exact area they're predicting the tropical storm Fay, which the weather forecasters are saying will increase in intensity to a Category 1 hurricane, will make landfall late tonight or early tomorrow morning. The palm trees here are swaying, the rain's coming down, and it looks like a scene out of LOST! Hope we keep our power (we do have a generator as a power source) so we can watch more of Season 3 tonight! Wink
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by tracker Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:22 am

CosmicJewels wrote:I am spending an inordinate amount of time browsing and reading various websites trying to glean whatever tidbits of information are out there about LOST. So far I've found reading "debunked" theories is a good way to weed out the ones that are just chitter chat (don't get me wrong..........I love the banter and chat too) and the ones that have a lot of logical reasoning to them. As far as reading any that were "right on" or super duper I haven't read many. There is lots of speculation, humor/humour and the like though, which in itself, is entertaining while/whilst the long time between now and the next season begins.

For some debunked:
http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Debunked_theories

On a more serious note. We live in the exact area they're predicting the tropical storm Fay, which the weather forecasters are saying will increase in intensity to a Category 1 hurricane, will make landfall late tonight or early tomorrow morning. The palm trees here are swaying, the rain's coming down, and it looks like a scene out of LOST! Hope we keep our power (we do have a generator as a power source) so we can watch more of Season 3 tonight! Wink

Good Luck Cosmic. I'm in South Carolina so we'll probably just get rain. Hopefully it will stay a tropical storm.
tracker
tracker
Others

Number of posts : 237
Humor : Hell hath no fury like a woman's corns.......Archie Bunker
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:39 am

Thanks tracker. We're under a tornado watch until 11 pm.

Your area has had it share of these hurricanes and I hope both you and I are spared any huge ones rumbling on through.
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:46 am

SmokinMonster,

One of the big surprises of Season three was the reveal that Locke's father Anthony Cooper was in fact the same person that James Ford had been searching for all his life.

Some people predicted this in season two, or put forward a guess that this was the case:

eg http://www.lostblog.net/lost/tv/show/why-is-locke-so-interested-in-sawyers-name

Some people guessed correctly at the end of season 3 that the man in the coffin was Locke. It is interesting to note that in the first official Lost podcast after the season finale that Damon and Carlton had live phone chats with some fans. Only one of these people were asked by Darlton who they thought was in the coffin. The fan said John Locke and Darlton said good guess. So sometimes the podcasts give answers that we understand only with the benefit of hindsight.

However, no one predicted that the he that Kate had to get back to in the season three finale would turn out to be Aaron, everyone either assumed Sawyer, or the original husband Kevin, or Hurley, or Locke, or Ben or some other new boyfriend.

There have been thousands and thousands of theories put forward, some are just guesses and some just play the field. Eg posters who say Annie is Charlotte, or Annie is Kate, or Annie is Juliette, or Annie is Penny, or Annie is Penny's mother, or Annie is Charlotte's mother, or Annie is Juliette's sister or Annie is dead or Annie is still alive on the island etc. And everytime a new character female is introduced then a whole lot of theories will be posted predicting that this new character must be Annie.

As Darlton says we, the fans, do not have all the necessary information yet to make a theory that is complete. Hopefully season 5 will give us some more of the missing pieces.
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Number of posts : 794

Character sheet
Name: Steve

http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:00 am

http://www.loststudies.com/

Another place to get more studying done. Smile

Wouldn't it be nice if this could all be considered applicable toward graduate studies? Wink
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:37 am

I have a question... the producers have debunked the theory of time travel *back in season 1*, did they not? Well, they obviously went back on their word because producers did confirm that Desmond in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" indeed did travel back in time.... what do you folks make of this?

I have a theory, but...... I'm saving it for my fan fiction S5, lol.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Number of posts : 388
Humor : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Character sheet
Name: Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:56 am

Well JW, I would suggest that you listen to or read the transcript for the very first official Lost podcast made by Carlton and Damon and see for yourself whether they dismissed time travel from the start.

Damon Lindelof: Yeah, exactly. [Carlton laughs] It's hard to get to Minsk. Season 3 we report out of Boston and cross the Atlantic and land somewhere in Europe, and we're gonna have to figure out that. Gradually. There's a big picture within the bigger picture, so it's always in service of that. So, I feel, obviously, with fans …

Carlton Cuse: You're not going to tell them about the time travel, are you?

Damon Lindelof: No, no, I'm not going to. In fact, I'm going to go back in time and prevent you from having said that. [Laughs]

Carlton Cuse: Oh my God.

Damon Lindelof: But there are, sort of bigger picture elements in play that are multi-season arcs as opposed to just a seasonal arc, which is sort of the day-to-day of what we do when we come in and eat breakfast together

November 8th 2005 ... Official Lost Podcast 1

Source: http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Official_Lost_Podcast_transcript/November_08%2C_2005

It does not sound like debunking time travel to me. I think that the "No time travel" claim has become an Lost Urban Legend. One that keeps being repeated so often that people believe it to be true. However, no one has ever provided a reference to where this claim was made.
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Number of posts : 794

Character sheet
Name: Steve

http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:15 am

Hm.... still hard to call because it seems as though Darlton, on more than one occasion, has said that time travel isn't a factor... regardless, there is a way around it that I don't think anyone has really brought up... and if this is the case there is a major clue really smacking us in the face.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:05 am

Nice digging, Stitch.

In reference to the original question, I only joined in online with this theorising business after Season 3, so I am not wholly sure about any major predictions before Season 4 that ever came to fruition.

I doubt anyone would have ever guessed what was in 'the hatch' before it was revealed though!
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:10 am

AC, I agree with you there... I bet NOONE had any idea on that one. I thought it was going to be some sort of tunnel where the "others" lived or something.... I had no clue. What were youthinking it was?
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:20 pm

I think I was going more supernatural with my ideas - given Walt's panic about how it should not be opened, and how there was Black Smoke, and Christian Shephard and Whispers all about the Island - it seemed to me that some supernatural force, like Pandora's Box, was contained within and set to be unleashed.

Once I saw there was a ladder leading down it in the last show of Season One. . .? I think I didn't really ponder it. Honestly! I think I just resigned myself to finding out when the time came and not bothering to guess.

That laid-back, take it as it comes attitude surprises me now!
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Stitch in that first link you posted it says at the bottom as a side note that James Ford is somehow linked to a 19th century pirate by the same name.

Well I remember hearing about a year ago on TV that Jack Shepherd was a rouge sailer of the 18th or 19th century.

Strange??
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down