Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mystery of the 4 Toed Statue Solved?!

+5
SunburnedPenguin
katesawjack
wtfsignmeup
AngeloComet
JWLost
9 posters

Go down

Mystery of the 4 Toed Statue Solved?! Empty Mystery of the 4 Toed Statue Solved?!

Post by JWLost Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:05 am

http://lostroom23.blogspot.com/2008/04/did-other-woman-give-us-4-toed-statue.html

I don't know if any of you have seen this article or not, but I found it extremely interesting because it brings us back to the Greek mythology which obviously has a heavy part in Dharma all of this new Dharma stuff on the ARG.

Basically, it says that the combo that Ben gave Locke to open the safe in "The Other Woman" are co-ordinates. 36 15 28 will put you on the Greek island of Rhodes where the "Colossus of Rhodes" was said to be. It was a statue, and one of the 7 Wonders of the World, said to be 50-100 feet tall, but was destroyed in an earthquake 50 or so years after it was finished leaving only part of the leg in tact. Hm... something sounds rather familiar eh? The statue was of Apollo, who loved him some candy bars.

I think this is all a little too perfect to be a mere coincidence.... what do you dudes/dudettes think?

I think that the island may very well be part of Rhodes that perhaps broke off after an earthquake/meteor hit it/volcanic eruption. Just a thought!
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Number of posts : 388
Humor : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Character sheet
Name: Lee

Back to top Go down

Mystery of the 4 Toed Statue Solved?! Empty Re: Mystery of the 4 Toed Statue Solved?!

Post by JWLost Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:07 am

Sorry, I thought I was in the Theory section when I posted this up here... oh well, it is in the Other Stuff section now.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Mystery of the 4 Toed Statue Solved?! Empty Re: Mystery of the 4 Toed Statue Solved?!

Post by AngeloComet Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:23 pm

Interesting article, but then the author does concede the glaring problem: It doesn't resolve anything about it having four toes.

That is, wherever it was built in the 'real world' there's no good reason for it not to have five regular toes. Our statue doesn't. Which makes me think it's somewhat exclusive to the Island, and the Island is exclusive to itself.

By the by, I am sure it's common knowledge that the statue originally was set to have six toes. But then the network said six toes didn't work for them, so they changed it to four. Four, apparently, was fine!

So the four toes, I think, is not that crucial. What's crucial is that the statue was different.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Yeah, I suppose, but still.... do you think that the writers threw that in there as a total red herring to throw us off completely or do you think there is something to it?
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:08 pm

I think the statue having an 'unnatural' numbers of toes ought to have some form of meaning.

It's a heck of a big show of nothing otherwise!
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfsignmeup Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:19 pm

AngeloComet wrote:
By the by, I am sure it's common knowledge that the statue originally was set to have six toes. But then the network said six toes didn't work for them, so they changed it to four. Four, apparently, was fine!

Surely you're joking?
wtfsignmeup
wtfsignmeup
Others

Number of posts : 354
Humor : huh?
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Merrick

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:33 pm

wtfsignmeup wrote:
AngeloComet wrote:

Surely you're joking?

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/4_toed_statue

Trivia

In a teleconference with select fans held on April 17, 2008, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse slightly rectified a misquote[1] of an anecdote previously told by Damon at the 2008 Paley Festival. According to Carlton, the true story was that the statue was originally stated to have six toes in the script, but ABC executives mandated that it better have only four toes, which was considered less "weird" than six toes. According to their own words, Damon and Carlton didn't mind as long as the statue didn't have five toes.[2] However, sculptor Jim Van Houten gave yet another explanation in the May 9, 2008 video podcast, claiming that the statue's foot was changed from six to four toes because it was hard to tell that it wasn't a regular five-toed foot when it had six toes.

So JW, You may be on to something according to that Sculptor? Wink

Mystery of the 4 Toed Statue Solved?! 250px-Foot-statue
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 634
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Miranda Eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:39 pm

Thats very interesting.....I wonder if the significance of the difference of the toes, even though it relates to a statue in our own reality, is that it is from a slightly different reality?

You know like in sliders, when they could tell they were not home because the stop light was green or something!

Or, it could be that a new breed of humans have always lived on the island, with similar cultures, but with an obvious physical difference?

Or, they are just messing with our heads!
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:56 am

Mystery of the 4 Toed Statue Solved?! 4toedflinstone

Bypassing the obvious "its a statue of Fred Flintsone" joke. I think it is a strong possibility that the foot statue was just something that the writers thought was cool and mysterious but unexpectedly grew important in the fan community. And now the writers are forced to explain the danmed thing and fit it into the whole Lost mythology.
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 681
Humor : check out TheFlatSpin.com and you'll be sorry you asked that.
Registration date : 2008-05-14

http://www.theflatspin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vincentthedog Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:28 pm

SunburnedPenguin wrote:You know like in sliders, when they could tell they were not home because the stop light was green or something!

lol!
vincentthedog
vincentthedog
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 963
Humor : God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. - Voltaire

Character sheet
Name: Vlad Táltos

http://www.myspace.com/artmassage

Back to top Go down

Post by Occam Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:35 pm

JWLost wrote:I think that the island may very well be part of Rhodes that perhaps broke off after an earthquake/meteor hit it/volcanic eruption. Just a thought!

You're not going to tell me the Losties are in Rhode Island, right? Very Happy

Occam
Others

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:43 pm

Occam wrote:
JWLost wrote:I think that the island may very well be part of Rhodes that perhaps broke off after an earthquake/meteor hit it/volcanic eruption. Just a thought!

You're not going to tell me the Losties are in Rhode Island, right? Very Happy

Captain Occam, I know you were not asking me that?
But... I just wanted to show my lame looking, Membership card signature ,next to your fancy one. Razz
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 634
Humor : Yes

Character sheet
Name: Miranda Eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Occam Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Now, now, Kate... it's not a "lame looking" card, it's an "ad-lib" one. Pure genius. Worth millions. While mine is not a "fancy" card; it's "industrial", "serialized", "commonplace". Worth nothing.

That's the difference. Cool

Occam
Others

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by SamiLost Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:30 pm

Very very interesting but i wish it could also explain the 4 toes!
SamiLost
SamiLost
Lostie

Number of posts : 60

Character sheet
Name: SamiLuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down